Learning a New Word - From an Odd Source

Sometimes the best thing in the world is a small but really funny incident.

One of my coworkers stopped in to see me this morning and we were catching up on various bits of news. We were discussing an issue and he said something about a person being "obtrusive" and I said, "Is 'obtrusive' a word? I know intrusive, and obtuse, but not obtrusive."

He looked at me and told me to google it, so I did, and there it was: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obtrusive:

"Main Entry: ob·tru·sive
Pronunciation: \-ˈtrü-siv, -ziv\
Function: adjective
Date: 1667
1 a: forward in manner or conduct b: undesirably prominent
2: thrust out : protruding "

We both began laughing upraoriously as we both had the same thought - he said, "Finally! I've tought you a new word!" We both had a great time laughing over that.

Usually I'm the one criticising - I don't mean to, but I can't help myself - if he gives me something to read, I'll go through it leaving red marks everywhere. And he'll use fictitious words and I'll say that this or that is not a word. (I love that - Ray does that too. Luis will do it, but he has an excellent vocabulary, too, so I am sure he does it just to make me nuts.) This was a switch.

As it turned out, I needed a really good laugh, so the timing was perfect.

Thank you, my friend! And, see - I did post it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...