My Other Vehicle is an Ambulance

Before anyone says anything, I know it's not MY ambulance. None of them are. But aside from my husband's car, I only drive either 66-3, 66-2 or on one freaky occaision, 66-4. Those are the ambulances of the Rockaway Neck First Aid Squad.

I love riding. And I love driving, and patient care, and I am good at dealing with the patients. I can't lift much which is a detriment, but I can do everything else - write reports, check vitals, do trauma assessments, be comforting to the patient and family, take charge when needed, do CPR, use the equipment. I have been on a lot of minor calls and some major trauma and dead people and heart attacks. I have not yet delivered a baby - but that is a matter of time. So is a gun shot wound (something I am admittedly curious to see).

I love the people I ride with. I am not friends with all of them and I'm not popular (I was nominated for two e-board positions but not voted in - which wasn't a surprise although one cannot help but feel some small disappointment). But they are pleasant to me and all are a pleasure to ride with. We work as a team. We do what needs to be done. Volunteers are a special breed and I am working with incredible people. And it is always, always interesting! Never a dull moment!


Well, maybe there are some dull moments but mostly, no matter what information the dispatch gives, it is not enough or not accurate. This is not necessarily dispatch's fault, often family members labour under the misconception that we will rush or be more inclined to go to their aid if they make it out to be something a little more urgent and time sensitive. Not to disappoint, but we have to respond with alacrity to all calls - there is no picking and choosing.

Someone took off a finger with a snowblower. That was not my call and I'm sorry I missed it. Before you roll your eyes, keep in mind that we aren't standing around thinking or saying, "Eeeeewwww, gross..." How effective would we be doing that? We are all excitement junkies and all somewhat or totally unbothered by blood. It certainly does not bother me. It hasn't yet, anyway. After three years, it is a safe bet that for the most part - 99.8% of the time - it won't. Mostly the calls are in the superficial to moderate range. Every once in a while there is something severe or serious. Many calls are for drunks, mentally ill or altered mental status (as we call them) pateints. It can be altered by almost anything... drugs. Diabetes. alcohol. Mental disabilities - retardation or whatever the PC term is now. Or they are depressed. Suicidal. It covers the whole range. The other most common call we have is difficulty breathing. More often than not, the patient has a patent airway. Or there are the ever-popular lifting assistance calls. Someone is on the floor and needs to be put in a chair, in bed, whatever.
All in all it is exciting. And I love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...