The Simplest Things In Life are the Best!

There are a lot of wonderful things in life to enjoy: a good dinner out; wearing jeans to work; a walk on the first brisk autumn day. But one of the best things in life is to have my hair washed.

You may be thinking, "Eeeeeewwwww, don't you wash your hair?" Of course I do, and every day. People with hair and skin as naturally oily as mine cannot go overlong without washing. That is not what I meant. I mean when I have my hair coloured and cut, the woman who does it washes it and it is... heavenly.

I sit in the chair, put my head back and close my eyes. The water comes on and is adjusted - hot, please, I hate having my hair washed in cold, cool or luke warm water. She rinses out the left over colour and then lathers up a bit of shampoo and then she digs in and scrubs my tingling scalp. Ah, that is amazing. It is relaxing and invigorating and makes me feel great. It is a very personal thing to wash someone else's hair. One is not accustomed to allowing others to invade his or her personal space in so close a manor. It is a lot to allow someone you don't know such access to your most vulnerable area (next to one's midsection). But to have your scalp massaged and washed like that is just incredible. I really love having it done.

My grandmother used to wash my hair when I was a kid (in the days before menarchy and the overabundance of oil that now pervades my hair) but the experience was one I always tried to avoid. I suppose it was positioning and the fact that Johnson's Baby Shampoo does in fact sting when it makes contact with one's eyes. Standing on a stool in the kitchen with my head bent forward and down does not make me feel particularly nostalgic. Of course, my grandmother washed my hair like Attila the Hun on a conquest... it was done with her usual brutal dispatch.

But I look forward greatly to having my hair coloured and cut and most especially washed. That is something well worth waiting for!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...