Beauty and the Geek

This is it - the full-stop in unbelievable television viewing. I hate to admit, I watch this. It is the living end of stupid, but there is something fascinating about it.

I would rather be me - the overweight, not pretty person that I am - who is happy, enjoys life and is at least semi-intelligent, than be a beauty. These women are pretty to stunning, but they are almost all abysmally stupid. And no, I am not being cruel and I do not mean ignorant. Just as I said it. They are stupid. Maybe one of them is hiding a brain, but honestly, if one is, she deserves an Emmy. These women are vacuous, self-centered and shallow. It is frightening how simple these women are! And capricious. Some of them learn that being a stunning looking guy is not all there is. But a lot of them come away having not learned anything. But then, how capable would they be?

I'm a geek (no one's going to mistake me for a man anytime soon. I'm fat, but I'm clearly and distinctly shaped like a woman) - I was able to answer almost all of the aeronautics questions that were asked in the one episode last season where the women had to go tours in the AeroSpace museum in the Smithsonian. I could give that tour with my eyes closed. These women were appalling. One said something about us finding life on Mars! Ouch... (She meant intelligent life, no less!)

Oddly enough, none of the women are stunning. Some are pretty, but none of them are truly incredible. I wonder if it will return next season and what the contestants will be like. In last season a woman named Cece made it to the last of two couples. I liked her partner, but she was awful. Not only was she not pretty, incredibly shallow and completely self-absorbed, but she was cruel and clearly in it for herself and only herself. She learned nothing. To make it worth putting up with this winner, however, the show was designed that in the last episode, the couples would not have to just answer questions about their partner, but they also had to see all the other couples who were eliminated from the show, and they had vote for the couple that they wanted to see win. Cece and her partner, Nate, only got two votes. Everyone else went with the other couple. They all liked and apologised to Nate, but they all really disliked Cece.

I was delighted. And totally unsurprised - she made her bed, and then absolutely got to lay in it!

Maybe she wasn't as dumb as a week-old box of rocks... but I am betting she was. And I am sure she is completely unchanged - or more bitter, more cruel. Who knows. She has faded back into total anonymity, as she was fated to do.

I guess I would not mind being someone who is pretty, is aesthetically attractive. But if I had to trade in my brain to be more attractive, I would not do it (unless I somehow got a better brain out of the deal and got to be more attractive!) - I will remain the ugly but happy and smiling and confident and intelligent person that I am. My mother tells me I'm her hero. People are amazed at my hobbies and my vast store of completely useless knowledge. I love it. I would not be able to give being me up.

It's good to be me! But it is what I make of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...