The Memes I Like

3x Thursday: 10/30/y2k+8: Boo!
1. Do you like Halloween? Why/why not?

Well, it is a cool sort of thing. And it is Samhain, which is special to me. I love this time of year. And October is my favourite month, so why not go out with something fun?

2. What's your favorite part of the Halloween season? Why?

Pumpkin carving is my favourite part. Picking the pumpkins, planning what I'm going to put in, and executing it. I love it all!

3. Do you have plans for Halloween this year? If so, what are they? If not, why not?

Yes! I am going to do what I do every year! Make the house totally dark to discourage trick or treaters!

October 31, 2008
Four For Friday - The Election Edition

Q1 - Talk About It: Many of my friends have commented they cannot discuss politics with co-workers, family, friends and others without conflict rearing its ugly head. Do you feel you can talk with your family and friends about this particularly divisive Presidential election?

Sure I can. They have their opinions and I have mine. Sadly, we are all agreed - the best of the pick seems to be Obama, but I don't know... they both are liars and into the mudslinging, and we as a nation clearly endorse this behaviour, or at least encourage it. And while the workplace is mostly plugging for McCain, I still can't abide the idea of his running mate. I don't think the world of Obama, but I really think McCain is just the devil with a clueless running mate!

But I don't mind discussing it as most of my family are liberals like me and my friends are aware of my liberal ways and the fact that I know I am a stupid - or I should say, ignorant - voter.

Q2 - And The Winner Is: Do you know who you're voting for in next week's Presidential election?

I do; and now, so do you.

Q3 - Call It: A pollster is a professional whose primary job is conducting private pre-election surveys and advising candidates on election strategy. Put your pollster hat on: Who will win the Presidential election and by what margin (in percentages)?

No idea. I would not even pretend to guess. I will say that I doubt the margin will be that big, however. It appears to be a very close race.

Q4 - Issues: What do you think is the most important issue in next Tuesday's Presidential election?

The biggest issue is immigration reform but amazingly, no one - not one candidate on ANY level of this political system - has touched it or even brought it up. We wouldn't want to lose the potential votes of the Hispanic community, which clearly comprises a huge amount of the voting constituents.

I'm disappointed in both sides on that. Imagine not mentioning a key item like that because you might lose some votes. It is staggering.

Saturday Six: Episode 237
1. When was the last time you donated money to a charity, and which cause was it?

It was Planned Parenthood and I will never make that mistake again. I still love what they do, but suddenly they inundated me with mailings and calls and all sorts of nonsense. Now no one gets donations unless I can make them anonymously.

2. Think of the last time you were specifically asked for a handout from someone who approached you on the street: did you give him or her anything?

I bought a homeless person a sandwhich once. I won't give out money.

3. What led to that decision?

It is right to give something to someone in need. But the money more often than not goes to something other than food.

4. Take the quiz: How Good Are You?

Check all that apply to you or that you agree with.
You donate to charity.
X You speak kindly to people, even if they are rude to you.
X You don't intentionally lie.
You respect your elders.
X You watch your language, especially when you're not around your friends.
X You say “please” and “thank you” often.
X You are more of a giver than a taker. You consider yourself generous.
X You don't make fun of people who are less fortunate or capable than you are.
You don't gossip.
You don't eat or drink in excess.
You listen more than you speak.
X You don't cheat... on significant others, on your taxes, or while playing games.
X You are a clean and tidy person.
X You are disciplined. If something needs to be done, you act on it.
X You are friendly and inclusive. You don't ignore people for being a bit strange or different.
You spend money wisely. And you always have a bit of money in savings.
X You don't suffer from jealousy. You are truly happy when other people succeed.
X You are at least somewhat sensitive. It pains you to see other people suffer.
X If someone criticizes you, you'll consider it as valuable feedback - even if you don't agree.
X You take loyalty seriously. You have never betrayed a friend's trust.
You keep your promises, even if you regret making them.
X You don't steal or take what isn't yours.
If you accidentally committed a crime, you would own up to it... even if it meant time in jail.
X In romantic relationships, you are 100% committed. You take love seriously.
X If your country was in need, you would try to serve it anyway you could.

You Are 60% Good
You are a fairly good person. You strive to live a moral life whenever possible. You are usually kind, generous, and loyal. However, you do have a dark side that even you may not see. When it comes down to ethical decisions, you tend to take the path of least resistance. So you may end up lying, cheating, or engaging in other bad behavior... because it's just easier to do so. You are also probably: Conflicted and confused about the current course of your life. Right now you are on track to being: A slightly crooked politician. To be a better person: Break one bad habit - whether it's telling white lies or spending too much money.

5. Which kind of charity/organization of the following list are you least likely to donate money to: a church, a people-oriented charity, a children-oriented charity, an animal-oriented charity, a college, or a food bank?

Oh, churches, definitely. They don't pay taxes and I feel very strongly that the money is not benefitting the right people.

6. If you could permanently block a single, specific charity from ever contacting you again, which would you block and why?

Well, all of them. I know my mind and who I want to support; I hate being bothered by groups that manage to circumvent the do-not-call lists!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...