Happy Holidays, Mr. Autera

20 December 2009

My friend Joe,

How are you? What's new in your world?

You won't write back, or at least you haven't, but hey, you never know. Maybe the fates will allow me the pleasure of a response. You need not give me any gory details (although "gory" won't bother me) but it would be nice to know you are doing well. How old your kids are, it's been a really long time. The usual pleasantries.

Since you are mum, however, I will supply the details for now.

Of course, you remember our working days at PNY Technologies. Those were fun times! And I learned a few things... like never keep my back to the door. When I first began my current position, my desk was tucked back away from the door... I don't know how to describe it. People walked in and startled me all the time, just like you used to. Even Rey could never quite sneak up on me the way you and your little cat feet did. (I did throw that ream of paper at you after I threw it onto my cubicle desk that one time, didn't I? Should've aimed for your head!) So about two years ago, I had my entire office rearranged so I can hear everyone approaching my office and they are visible the second they step into the doorway. It works very well!

Luis and I moved to the other side of town about seven years ago, to the Lake Hiawatha side of Parsippany. It's nice - big house, quiet neighbourhood, first aid squad house right across the street. That means I commute 18 miles to my main job and about 18 yards to my unpaid job. I like to think of EMS as my unwind from the regular stress of my full-time job... except I don't consider what I do stressful. Last week two people were fired. People tell me I'm heartless and I grin back and say, "Tell me something I don't know!" My manager tells me I'm really, really good at firing---

There goes my pager. I'll be back! (11:54)

(13:08) It is time for lunch, before we end up with another contestant. I'll be back soon.

3 January 2010

OK, I lied. It was two and a half weeks ago that I went out on that call... hmmmm. A little late...

I rode Thanksgiving (one call at 1820), Christmas Eve (two cancellations and one real call between 1800 - 1900) and New Year's Eve (not a single call - not one!) and this weekend for 24 hours (I'm on until 1800 tonight - it is now 13:21) and we paid the price for running the holidays, with four calls, three in the wee hours when it was under 14 degrees and the wind chill brought it down to below zero - awesome - but for getting through three major holidays, it is a good price. The last call was quarter to 11:00, daylight hours. Refreshing. I usually only see darkness riding in the winter but every six weeks we have a 24 hour rotation.

My personal favourite this morning was the drunk Mexican whose friend struck the patient with a bottle - point-blank in the forehead. No transport, as usual. Unreal.

I love EMS, it is the adrenalin junkie in me. Not that my job hasn't its share of adrenalin filled moments, but not like racing to a possible heart attack or an MVC. I've had my share of fatalities. Someone said to me, "Oh, you must be used to that." And I said no, you never get used to that. If you do, it is time to stop. It is not the dead person... it is watching the reaction of the survivors that tears your heart out.

Life is good. I'm very happy. Luis and I have our 20th anniversary coming up in March; my 42nd birthday is 26 January - wanna make me happy? Send me birthday wishes! It will make my day. I love my jobs, and I love my life. I sometimes miss PNY but I will never go back to corporate America. This is so much better!

I hope you are well and have a happy, healthy new year and new decade!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...