Hallelujah

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

I heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the lord
But you don't really care for music, do you
Well, it goes like this the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall and the major lift

The baffled king composing hallelujah

Hallelujah...

Well, your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah...

Baby, I've been here before
I've seen this room and I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
But love is not a victory march
I's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah...

Well there was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me do you
But remember when I moved in you
And the holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Well, maybe there's a god above
But all I've ever learned from love
Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
It's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah...

The beautiful thing about music is the way it can be nothing to you or can mean everything to you. Time in your life, scene in a movie or television show, a moving moment on a date. It can be anything, it can be nothing, and yet, some songs can hit you in such in the most profound, moving ways. Usually, admittedly from shows...

It must have been the fourth or fifth season of the "West Wing", one of the best shows ever. GJ Craig and her bodyguard, well played by a very attractive Mark Harmon, were deinitely going to get together for a date after the New York City play that she had to attend with the President. There was a brief kiss outside with the just the smallest hint of what was to come. She went into the hall and he went into a bodega to purchase a soda and a rose. The music to "Hallelujah" was playing.

There was an ominous feel to the air; and it took Mark Harmon's Secret Service character little time to realise what was going down. He called for back up and shot at one perp but another one got him from behind... and he died. CJ was told during the show and she was destroyed - in only a way that anyone who has received that kind of sudden and completely shock could be.

Maybe you are really young. Maybe there is great logevity in your fmily. Maybe your friends have not died. But I have been down this road; a good, close friend from Ren who dropped dead of a massive heart attack at age 42. A friend who was healthy and then in six weeks went from healthy to dead from pancreatic cancer. People come and people go. It is the cycle of life. But it is different when you feel it as only you can.

Music can do that to me. Sometimes this song gives me the outlet to cry and let it out and other times I am swept up in the beauty and emotion within. Jeff Buckley gives all of his heart to God and that is fine. We all know how religious I am - at least in a Christian sense. But I don't hear the Christian part - I just hear and feel the emotion within. And amazingly, it makes me happy even as it can make me sad. Does that make sense? I have been to that place, and I have had my throne broken and my hair cut and I have felt the joy of life and living and feel it every day. I prefer to give my love to all different things, not only to God (in my own way, I do, but not in the accepted Christian [for most]), to see the beauty and joy in so many things. And to know abject happiness and extreme joy, you need to have journeyed through the other side of the sun, gone through the pain and agony and the feelings that extreme emotional pain brings. But when I feel happy, I can feel it in every part of me, all of me and share that with other people and be infectious and light. I want to feel joy and so in that song, in that sadness, there is the knowledge that I will always have a balance, even during times when it seems as though there is none...
Hallelujah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...