Back onto The PCT Trail (A Diary of My Cousin)

Hi everybody! Some of you were wondering what happened to me last year when the trail reports stopped suddenly. Of course, everything was ultimately fine, but after hiking another 100 miles or so and coming to within 180 miles of my finish point, I started to have a physical problem and felt it was the better part of wisdom to exit the trail for the season. Good timing, because the next week it dumped the first load of snow for the season in Northern California! So here I am, back on the trail this spring, hoping to make it from the Mexican border to Kennedy Meadows (my starting point last year). That's 709 miles. Up in Northern California, I still have the last 180 miles left to hike, then I'll have finished the whole Pacific Crest Trail.

I'm still deciding how I'm going to celebrate. Oh, and there WILL be celebrating. Much celebrating.

Miles hiked so far: 120
Days hiked: 10

On May 11, my sister-in-law Kim and I made our way to Campo, CA. San Diego trail angels drove us to the actual Mexican border, where took the requisite goofy pictures in front of the PCT southern terminus monument, and then set off into the desert.

The "desert" wasn't exactly how I'd pictured it to be. Lots of low hills covered with scrubby brush and lots of flowering silver sword plants. Plenty of wildflowers, too, which was a welcomed sight in such a dry place. Our first day was relatively cool, as it had been raining on our way to the trail. I think that was just God teasing us, though, because it hasn't rained since, and it's been in the 90s during the days.

What can I say about the desert so far? It's dag-blasted dry. And hot like I've never experienced before. I can drink and drink and still feel dry. Luckily, I've had zero foot problems, but the intense heat has been giving me hives on my legs and arms. Didn't know you could get hives from the heat, but I guess I'm just one of those lucky few. It might also have something to do with the fact that I'm pregnant. Yes, finally! I'm in my 16th week, and I'm due in early October. The timing couldn't be better for me to get this section of the trail finished. I was feeling pretty barfy up until the week before I had to leave for the trail, and was wondering if I'd even be able to hike... but then all that business just kind of disappeared, and hasn't come back, thankfully.

The hiking actually makes me feel better, when I'm feeling a little ick. And for those of you who are tempted to worry about me, don't. My midwife gave me the thumbs up for the hike, with the caveat that I make sure I stay well-hydrated. So I'm off on my last trail adventure for a while. I'll be scratching this kind of activity off my list until my child is old enough to carry a pack, I think!

I'm still trying to decide whether I'm actually enjoying the hiking or not. It's so completely different from what I experienced last year in the northern parts, it's really not fair to compare the two terrains. I'll just have to find what's good about the desert and focus on that. For example, the cactus and lots of the plants are blooming right now.

The desert smells good. I don't have to worry about animals trying to steal my food (nice!). I haven't met a scorpion or a rattlesnake yet. In fact, there's not much wildlife around except for the occasional songbird or ground squirrel, lizards and toads. The lizards and toads are really different looking -- they all have horny spikes on their bodies. Like nothing I'm used to, being from the East. I've made it through a few trail towns -- Lake Morena, Mt. Laguna, Julian, Warner Springs, and now Idyllwild (where I'm resting for a few days).

The towns are definitely one-horse affairs, but they all had a place to buy food and a place to rest -- which was all I ultimately need. I hiked 21 miles out of Warner Springs, heading to a trail angel's house at the end of the day that was only a 1/4 mile off the PCT on a dirt road. I learned the hard way that 21 miles is still too far for me to hike as yet. I also learned that bringing along extra water isn't an option for me -- it should be considered a necessity. Basically, I'd been too cocky. So I stumbled into Mike the trail angel's house, dehydrated and rashy, and he took one look at me and sent me to his room for the night. I think he slept on a cot in the living room. He is a perfect example of someone giving the shirt off his back. I'm so grateful to this kind man! If I hadn't felt so sick, I wouldn't have let him do that -- but the truth is, I really needed what he was offering.

There were probably 20 other hikers already there at his little desert shanty, bar-b-Q ing and drinking, but I was barely able to manage a cold shower and to fall into this kind man's nice soft bed. I kept waking up all night to eat and drink, and by the morning I was feeling much better.

Mike was leaving to go back to work the next morning, so he dropped me off in the next town north -- Idyllwild. I'm waiting here for my mother-in-law, Laurie Graves, who's driving out to visit me for an overnight. She's very active in the Girl Scouts, and we're going to stay at Camp Scherman Saturday night. I'll get to see where she hikes and camps -- should be fun! And she'll get to see my growing belly.

Luckily, the weather is supposed to be cooling down for the next few days at least, so my the hiking won't be as hot. I'm learning that it's better to hike early in the morning (like 6-11am) and after 5pm. I may have to make this my routine if I want to avoid getting more hives. During the heat of the day, I'll just find a shady spot (yes, they do exist) and blow up my air mattress and read and relax. With the desert breeze, it's actually a pretty nice way to spend the middle of the day! I hope everyone's well, and I'd love to hear from everyone while I'm out here. Keep the emails coming!

Love, Dawn

P.S. - My trail angel friend Mel Pfeffer gave me the trail name "Baby Bump". It's got a ring to it :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...