Circadian Rythms and the Penis

Saturday, 31 March 2007
05:39
Yes, my brain has too much time on its hands.... (and the penis part of this is very short. It's mostly about circadian rythms).

OK. How is it that evey morning at five a.m. there is Luis' penis waving in the air. I don't get it. Everyone jokes about the morning hard-on, but it is there without fail as though some invisible, inaudible alarm clock that goes off and tells it to wake up... without the rest of him. It's really quite amusing.

This morning I happened to really like that...

People are all different and circadian rythms are, too (although the universal law of morning erections seems to be the same for every man and moves with the time zones as well). I'm very rigid when it comes to my own circadian rythm. I need more structure and the time change and longer and shorter days are difficult. In the winter I'm really off-kilter with the sun rising at 0730 and setting at 1630. But in the summer, with the sun setting at 2100 it is much the same thing - confusing. I go to bed around 2030, so it is weird to go to bed with the daylight still there - as much as I like it.

When the clocks go back and forward, I have about a week of total sleeping/waking insanity (I'm greatful and bent about it being three weeks earlier this year - I thought that would be better, but it really was more confusing. A life time of clocks going forward in April makes early March trying).

I've lost interest in this train of thought between the movie that is on and watching the sunrise. More later.
Sunday, 1 April 2007
10:56
OK, I'm more interested in this again, after spending last night running all over Parsippany and Lake Hiawatha trying to save lives. The clocks going back or forward are not the only things that screw up my internal clock. Time change from travel is a killer. Traveling west is easy enough - it is a very long day and then after a good night's sleep I am in sync with the local time and it is all good. Travel east kills me. Suddenly there is a huge jump forward in time and it is all off-kilter. I got back from Las Vegas in 1993 and from Palm Springs in 1999 and it was an amazing and distressing thing. I was all screwed up from that - I don't remember too well what it was like coming back from Las Vegas as at the time I was out of work. But I remember all too clearly how long it took to recover from Palm Springs! I was there for six days, returned Saturday evening and then had Sunday to get over it - and it was not nearly enough. It took almost a full week (and I was very much working at the time) to get through the jetlag. Not fun. But I have to tell you honestly that I don't care and will happily pay that price. My trip to Palm Springs was incredible, amazing, educational, huge fun, and the best trip I have ever taken as an adult. I loved it. A little severe jetlag is a great downside to a phenominal trip!
And last night has completely screwed up my internal clock, but again, worth it. I logged more calls last night than the entire month of February. I had a great time with Bob and the experience and driving practice was all wonderful. By tomorrow morning I will just have a little residual tiredness and then I will be fine.
Next time you poo-poo the notion of circadian rythms, listen for the laughing of your body when you are feeling tired from time changes of any kind!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...