Guns - Why Do We Have Them?

Guns - Why Do We Have Them?

Someone let me handle his gun today.

No, that is not some weird euphemism for something sexual. Someone I know is in law enforcement and I asked to see it. And it seems that everyday it is something different. He must own heaps of them. I don't know and I am not sure that I want to. I understand that police must carry a weapon 24/7 because even though he is on a specific shift schedule, the real on duty never ends. This of course creates more questions than answers and at some point (and I am positive he is well aware of this) I will ask them all. Maybe twice.

He took it all very well, even when I took it from him as though handling a dead rat. And I have to admit that I am impressed. It weighed nothing... I was expecting something rather metallic and quite heavy - I read a lot - but this was almost like plastic. It was light and not at all metallic. Apparently it is titanium. I certainly know what titanium is, I just had no idea that firearms were made out of that material. Interesting, indeed. This was an ankle piece (good thinking on his part... I'd hate to lug around a big heavy gun on my foot). I guess the titanium firearm was made with this in mind. Yesterday it was a more regular piece - a hip holster that is part of the belt. I make fun of him all the time for being out there passing out tickets like candy (how long before MY luck runs out and he pulls me over just for giving such a hard time?), but in truth, that is not by any means a normal job and he is definitely putting up with much more than anyone should just to earn a living. Who needs to wonder if some nut will be your next pulled-over driver? Or worry that the person he is dealing with is armed? I don't give that kind of thing any thought when I am at work!

I wonder if he realises that I'll ask to see the other gun too? Well. I shouldn't ruin his weekend with that. I will just ask about it next week... As usual, he will take it with his usual nonchalance as he does everything...

He certainly seems very nonchalant about running around with a thing that will kill people. Well, okay, I can live with the argument that people kill people, not guns... but why create such things in the first place? What is it about the human race that makes us so... volatile? Violent? And when I say I could not kill someone or that I would save anyone, he creates these hideous scenarios in which no logical person could really say anything but "I would kill that person" or "I would let this person die". Eesh. The fact is - not that there is any explaining this to him - I don't honestly know what I would do in these scenarios. They have not happened to me. (I always hate it when people do that... the whole devil's advocate thing. It makes me want to shoot him. I know he's just trying to prove a point but there are some things that even I don't want to think about.)

You know, I never did ask him if he's gotten shot. I suppose not. But I will ask now that it is on my mind. Actually, two close friends of mine have been shot, and I have seen the long-healed wounds. It is a very distinctive thing and not mistakable as anything other than a gunshot wound. The scar is quite unique.
(13 February addendum: No, he has never been shot. He did relate a time when he was nearly shot, though... it'd make you pee your pants!)

I've been the victim of a violent crime and I did not like it. It never occured to me that I might want to shoot the person who did it. In fact, I can't say that I would like to now, either. I have worked through it, dealt with the pain and whatever baggage came with it. It's like someone asking me if I would have the bad memories erased - the answer is no - the good and the bad experiences are me - without them I would not be complete.

Would I be complete if I killed someone? Having seen plenty of people die, some in my care and some there before I got to the scene, I can honestly say I don't know but... I hope I am never in a position to find out. I guess the way I can be an EMT and not be crushed by the blood and death and whatever else I see, hear and deal with, this person can deal with killing people. I don't know how. I don't know if I like that about him. Well, I hope I never find out. I feel quite complete now in that respect.

On the other hand, I have to be grateful that he is as he is. For how can I live without those who would easily do that job and kill the people who might kill me? So I guess I do like that about him. I must admit he is very likable. And he was good enough to let me handle that piece. He did all the proper things - took the bullets out and made sure it was completely safe to handle it. He was also - and this I had to laugh at - amused by the fact that I reminded him strongly of his kids. Apparently they are as curious as I am about the guns.

Well, I am curious about many things. And given any opportunity I like to satisfy my curiousity. I suspect he enjoys it anyway - I ask a lot of questions and he never seems to mind answering them. I'm very direct and forthright and the right people appreciate it and respond well. I love that. I hate it when people are vague and don't tell me things. I can't experience what it is to be a policeman, so I need to see it through his eyes. And he is really great about giving me his worldview and allowing me that tiny glimpse of what it is to live in his world. I still don't like guns... but I can appreciate what it is to have someone carrying one who is protecting me. I defintely like that.

So... thank you. Every day. For putting yourself in danger that I might live my life and be curious and ask a million questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...