Silk, Silk, Silk...

Someone told me to repeat after them: silk, silk, silk.

Then he or she (it may have been Luis, but I don't remember) asked me, "What do cows drink?"

I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. I answered it incorrectly. It just bounced out of my head and into my brain and clearly it was not the right answer. But I'm not quick-thinking like that, it's not how my brain is designed. That doesn't make it any better that this is the case. I'm not an idiot. But that whole "thank fast!" and throw me an object thing doesn't work. For whatever reason, I can never catch the object.

It doesn't help that my short-term memory is absolutely abyssmal. It is, and quite frankly, it was never something to write home about, but it is worse now. This is in large part due to the sleep aid that I take (four nights of the week) and it is not a good thing. Someday I will get off of this. But I'm someone who needs time to think things through. When I stop myself from reacting to stimuli and think - really think - about it, I do the right thing and have the right answers. I am constantly trying to train myself to do that all the time. It is when I react instead of proact[ively] respond, then I screw up and do things too fast, too panicky... it is not a good thing.

My coworker loves to tell me that I am as sharp as a marble. I have to laugh and agree with me. Things he mentioned a week ago are totally gone from memory, but something I did ten years ago stands out clear as a bell. Now, when someone who is in his or her 70s does that, it is understandable. I'm 38. Where does that leave me? Early onset Alzheimers? Uh, no. Not on your life. But it does make me look like I either partied too hard in the 60s (do your math - not possible) or I'm an idiot... or, and worse, for someone in my profession, I wasn't listening.

I am not the best listener in the world. I don't mean to lose track of what people tell me but my brain is fifty light years ahead of me, my subject and anything that is being said and I have to tell myself to focus! Pay attention to what the person is saying. I know my coworker is being funny and I love it when he says that, it's funny to me. I understand that sort of whit. But he is right, too, and that is not good.

So, repeat after me: silk, silk, silk.

What do cows drink?

It is not milk...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...