Turkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't like turkey...

This is a perfectly fine holiday. It isn't my favourite, but that has nothing to do with any specific objections, just the simple fact that I don't have any liking for turkey as a food. White or dark meat, it is unappealing - unless there is a boatload of sauce on it. And even then, fussy person that I am (just ask Gregwa), I don't care much for the standard turkey sauce. Douse it in teriyake sauce and then there is something to drool over! But the usual fixin's (as it were) aren't workable to me - yams/potatoes, cranberry sauce, turkey, whatever vegetable, the list goes on. I live for Christmas and Easter - then we talking about Virginia smoked ham and there is no end to my love of ham!

Unlike Columbus Day, where I object to diefying Christopher Columbus, I have no particular beef with the Pilgrims and less with the local Americans. The Pilgrims weren't my kind of people. They are more standard for overly religious (along the lines of Roman Catholics) people, with the whole suffering thing - they are always pushing for pain, I'm always pulling for pleasure... They came here to found a land on religious freedom - their religion. Of course. Why should anyone consider other religions, or the lack of it? They had some funny ideas about people and still happily persecuted (or outright killed) those who didn't buy into their religion or "lost the way". Lots of fairness...

The local inhabitants, the Lenai Lenapi (I think that is the really local Native Americans), bother me much less. So do the locals of the Massachusetts area, where everyone first landed. They were a little taken aback by the English (and why shouldn't they?) but it sounds like they were interested to meet new people and maybe they weren't all of a mind to like us, but they made an effort and showed the settlers how to live in this foreign and seemingly inhostpitable land. The winter must've been a shocker. It certainly is to my British pen friends, who rarely see snow and are baffled as to how we handle it so easily. But the Americans soon discovered how avericious we are, and came to regret helping us. The British, the French, the Spanish, anyone who came here showed a pretty basic and brutal side and that was the end of that.

But the idea of Thanksgiving is nice, even if we've stopped thanking the Native Americans. I just want better fare out of it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...