Would I See the World Differently...

...as a man?

Ye gods. How does one answer that?

The logical answer is yes. I have to say that undoubtedly there is a big difference in the genders. I know that there is more equality now than ever before, but still, male brains are wired a little differently than womens'. The real difference is that this does not dictate an inequality - it just makes it not the same. The same would be dull. I love to see the gender differences at work. Luis and I are a prime example. All the things that are considered a normal inherency in male mindset and capabilities are there. Luis is great with spacial relationships, offering advice, crunching numbers, looking at the world with almost no emotional interference, etc. All the things I can't do. I may not allow my emotions to colour my workplace decisions, but they are there and usually - much as I try to hide them - evident (to some degree). I have zero spacial relationship understanding, as is evidenced by my manoeuvering to get the car in and out of the garage or the rig into a space. Forget numbers - I want nothing to do with them. And when people are upset, I offer sympathy first, not solutions. When Luis communicates, he does so like most men - no rich details, no embellishing or describing things. Dialogue with Luis is often like this:

Me: "Hi, honey!"

Luis: "Hello."

Me: "How was your day?"

Luis: "Fine."

Me: "Anything interesting at work happen?"

Luis: "No."

You'll notice that it is not unlike talking to your teenager:

You: "Hi, honey. How was school?"

Teenager: "Fine." (Sometimes you'll only get a grunt.)

You: "Anything interesting happen?"

Teenager: "Nope."

You: "Learn anything interesting [or new]?"

Teenager: Shrugs in your general direction

You: "Are you going somewhere?"

Teenager: "Uh-huh."

You: "Where are you going?"

Teenager: "Nowhere."

Oh, yes, what parent has managed to maintain a ten minute monosyllabic conversation? If you want to communicate with your reticent, uncommunicative teenager, this is what is done. Well, while Luis isn't going through a phase or being difficult, he is much like that. He has also very quickly learned not to ask me those same questions that earn me all those monosyllabic answers. You might wonder why (unless you know me and then there is no mystery...).

Luis: "Hi, honey. How was your day?"

Me: "It was really amazing! At work..." Fifteen minutes later I've managed to get to lunch time. He is staring at the television wondering what the hell possessed him to ask one little innocuous question. I'm oblivious and still out of the gate like a racehorse. Every little detail and nuance and every side of any relayed conversation is in there (what? You still haven't figured out that I am all about the detail?!). Luis is trying to be nonplussed, hoping I will stop yakking. This does not happen too often any more. What NOT to do... lessons learned by the opposite sex.

I guess that answers my question, doesn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...