When I Fall

I look straight in the window,
try not to look below
Pretend I'm not up here,
try counting sheep

But the sheep seem to shower
off this office tower
Nine-point-eight straight down

I can't stop my knees

I wish I could fly
From this building
From this wall

And if I should try
Would you catch me
if I fall?

My hands clench the squeegee,
my secular rosary
Hang on to your wallet,
hang on to your rings
Can't look below me,
or something might throw me

Curse at the windstorms
that October brings
I look in the boardroom;
a modern pharaoh's tomb
I'd gladly swap places,
if they care to dive
They're lined up at the window,
peer down into limbo
They're frightened of jumping,
in case they survive

I wish I could step
from this scaffold
Onto soft green pastures,
shopping malls, or bed
With my family and my pastor
and my grandfather who's Dead

Look straight in the mirror,
watch it come clearer
I look like a painter,
behind all the grease

But painting's creating,
and I'm just erasing
A crystal-clear canvas
is my masterpiece

I wish I could fly
From this building
From this wall

And if I should try
Would you catch me
if I fall?


I was just listening to the other Barenaked Ladies CD after having had the latest release at the time, Maroon. I was driving over early in the morning to our new house, 16 Crescent Drive, with the cats, kitchen goods and anything else that we needed to have right away. As I pulled up this song was playing. I guess it was an emotional moment... good feelings, mostly, but also big scary changes...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...