XXI Winter Olympics - Men's Doubles Luge

More madness. I guess I don't remember or I did not watch this last time (I used to prefer Summer Games) but I had no idea that there was a luge with two men on it. This is much more bizarre than the regular luge! I've no idea how this is aerodynamic! This looks more klutzy than the regular luge. On the other hand, when you watch them racing, you can't really see the bottom guy - he's buried under the top man.

Austria took the gold on this. There was one accident - sort of - with the other two guys from Austria. They did not come off the sled but they were WAY too high on Turn 16 and crashed into the side of track coming out of it. And I don't know how the bottom guy felt, but his face shield popped off and the bigger guy was bouncing around on top of him! He was quite shaky when he got up off the sled.

It was interesting to watch the mens' doubles. Both are on the sled and while it looks like the bottom rider is behind the front man, once they are actively going, it looks like one man is on top of the other. In fact, it doesn't even look - from the front shots (feet first) as though there is even a second rider.

When they are settling into the top of track on the sled, checking the straps and the foot placement, there is a very weird off-key whistle that tells the men that they are ready to begin the run. It is a perfectly awful sound. I'm not sure why they use such a terrible noise.

Every race has its starting tone - gun shot for speed-skating, the off-key whistle for luge... I'm not sure what the ice skaters' cue is... but this one is not only audible, it's quite unpleasant. Well, maybe I can find an explanation. I noticed Dick Button's humongous clunkers, and someone else did, so maybe someone noticed this, too...

Unfortunately, when one types "luge" into the Google engine, all that comes up is the accident that occurred just prior to the Opening Ceremonies. Guess I will try a couple of more times to see if I can't find it.

No, I can't find it.

Well, it was certainly interesting, no matter what!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...