Saturday Six - Episode 400 (Hooray!)

No one is more surprised than I am that the Saturday Six has now reached its 400th edition! By my calculations, that represents about 7.6 years, with an asterisk: these 400 editions have only spanned 399 consecutive weeks, because there was one weekend in which I gave readers two different editions on the same day.

I’m glad you’re reading this, and I hope you’ll enjoy this week’s set of questions!

Be sure to check back this week and click on the links of bloggers who play along in the comments below! It’s a great way to find blogs you may not have visited and keep the conversation going!

Here are this week’s “Saturday Six” questions. Either answer the questions in a comment here, or put the answers in an entry on your blog… But don’t forget to leave a link to your blog so that everyone else can visit! Permission is not granted to copy the questions to message boards for the purpose of having members answer and play along there. Enjoy!

1. While going through old boxes, you find an old library book of which you are very fond, but you realize that it was a library book. You assume that the library has long-since written the book off as a loss because it has been boxes away for 20 years or more, and the book carries a great deal of sentimental value for you. Would you return the book or keep it?

You will think less of me for this, but the above is not any old scenario... this is me, and I have quite a few young adult books, such as the Madeleine L'Engle books and a few others. This was back in the day when I worked for the Wayne Valley library as a 13-year-old. All of those books sat there unused and in terrible condition so they came home with me. Half were missing covers, the other half spines. No one missed them. No one missed the few astronomy books I took as well. And by now, they have either replaced those books or updated the astronomy books. By now, some 30 years later, I had to replace the Madeleine L'Engle books as I read them all apart. And I did hate to get rid of the old books - I grew up on them!

2. You visit one of your closest friends who is battling a terminal illness. It’s clear he or she will not survive, but is in a lot of pain. Your friend begs you to briefly disconnect life support long enough for death to come. If there is no way your intervention could be discovered and no way you could face any kind of prosecution, would you grant your friend’s request?

Yes, I would. I would not think twice. My friend has - should have - the right to end his or her life when ready. Do you know, one of the worst calls I ever went on was a seven-year-old child dying of cancer and the child wanted to die; was ready to die. The patient knew better than anyone what she was going through. But the family would not let the child go. They would do anything to draw out this pain-ridden, miserable life. It was awful. The family will go through the pain eventually - give the child some dignity - children have some dignity - let them say their goodbyes, and allow the poor suffering person to find that peace. So yes.

3. You have the chance to be in a parade and ride on a float supporting a cause you believe in, but you can’t appear in any kind of disguise or costume: which cause’s float would you most likely be comfortable selecting?

Hmmm. No disguise or costume? Well, I can't imagine that would change my mind. Keep EMTs for the volunteers. I would proudly ride that float anywhere.
4. Your company’s top executive team arrives for a surprise visit, and selects you and a handful of other employees to meet with one-on-one in an attempt to get the pulse of their employees and to uncover any problems within the organization. How honest are you likely to be about your answers when they ask about specific problems you know exist, even if it means that friends you work with could lose their jobs over what you say?

Ah, remember who this is answering your questions. I have had to go to those things and the end result was that some major changes were at least considered, some people were put on notice, etc. But the survival of the company depended on it. So I have done it and I still feel good about it. I will say that I make very, very few friends in companies I have worked for... that is not that simple...

5. You find yourself slated to be a guest on a talk show: which host, living or dead, would you most like to be interviewed by, and why would you choose that host?

Uh... why would I be invited to a talk show? I think maybe I would not go to one. No matter how much they really wanted me to come and speak, I would not want to take the focus from whatever I did to receive the invite. I just don't think I would want to go to a talk show.

6. Your church decides to take part in a political protest, and it seems that nearly everyone feels the same way about the issue. You, however, do not share their view. At the risk of being ostracized, would you deny to participate, or would you search for a way to quietly assist, without being out in front?

If my church could not handle my difference of opinion and ostracised my for it, then I shall find another group to become a part of - if we are all brothers under the same God and basic tenets, then they should love me as I am. Is it that simple? You betcha. And yes, I would not participate. I won't abrogate my feelings by pitching in to an ideal or political protest that I do not agree with!

So does this mean that next week, we will he-- read your answers to these self-same questions? 

If you have a Reader’s Choice question you’d like to see asked (and answered), send me an email! I’d love to include it in a future edition of the Saturday Six.

Comments

ikea ofertas said…
you.|great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.|great information you write it very clean. I’m very lucky to get

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...