Too Much Religion

This afternoon, while surfing aimlessly along some different blogs, I found this:

"Being Too Religious
Every human being is a individual but every religion will give a person a identity to who there are, this will help a person to lead their life because they will have certain bondaries what they can and can't do. There are many religions in this world which people follw here are some examplesa, Lslam, christianity, hindusim and judaism. Thre rae many peole who believe in religion because they believe in one god but their are some people whho don't believe in religious because they don't believe in recreation or life after death.I believe no matter how religious a person might be there would not follow all the rules which are placed by the religion, for example, every religion believe a woman should be treated equally and should'nt be cheated on but it still happens."

So, being me, I had to comment on it:

"I happen to agree that too much religion can be a bad thing. It certainly has not done anything positive in the world as yet. And yet, some is not the worst thing in the world. It answers the answerable and gives strength to some.

But there is no religion in the world that can stop people from doing wrong things - not one. No one lives perfect blameless lives - it simply is not programmed into the human condition. It is tough to look at all the rules that each religion has and say, "I've never broken a single one!" Admittedly, these rules are manmade and while religion sounds great, once mankind starts actively involving itself in it, then it falls apart. Muslim extremists and Catholic terrorists are all the same animal, some one a little misguided on the God of love and how He works.

Human sexuality is also a terribly unconquerable thing. Humans are driven by sex both physically and psychologically, and once religion starts dictating that sex is not a good thing or something that is to be tolerated but not enjoyed, then you run into all these issues. And the human genome is not designed to be faithful. People try to do it but statistically most fail. It all sounds good in theory, but in fact we as a species are geared to sleep around capriciously in search of the right seed and the right caretaker - who are two different creatures!

OK, now that my comment is bigger than your posting, I'll leave you alone!

Thanks for reading!"

At least people feel free to write about these things. Nothing should be a forbidden topic!

Comments

Thank you for the kind comments you left on my blog. I have some comments of my own, both based upon your post and your comment over at Send Chocolate.

Believe it or not, we agree on many things. I do think that being faithful and monogamous is hard, but it is a challenge to make us stronger. I also feel that there is more to sex than just the act, and by spreading myself around when I was younger, I was hurt emotionally in ways that I may have avoided had I thought twice about the sexual aspect. Of course, at the time I thought I was just a 90's liberated woman, I took what I wanted and left the feelings. So I thought. Don't get me wrong, I like sex! A lot. But with the right person, for me, it forged something deeper than just the crazed animal coupling that sex can be.

I also agree that many don't understand God and the way he works. I don't pretend to understand it all, because I never will. But for me, I understand enough. I have said for a long time that what keeps me a Christian is Jesus Christ, not his followers. Heck, if I looked to the church for my faith, I would have walked a long time ago! People are fallible, and no matter what, they will continue to be fallible. I think that's where the love comes in. If you can love people who make mistakes, aren't like you, and don't do things the way you think they should be done...then you are getting it. That's what Jesus meant when he said, "Love Your Neighbor." It is so easy to judge and so hard to love! At least, I think that's what he meant. Maybe he meant buy 'em a sub sandwich. Seriously, I don't think we go wrong when we try to love.

We are not so different, you and I. I used to be involved in college theatre and SCA. The Rocky Horror Show, bad poetry. It was some of the most fun I have ever had. But we had kids, and something had to give. Turns out, it was me...and I have learned a lot about how to give. (and I am still learning).

I wrote a book and I apologize. Your comment touched me and I had to come and see the "home" of the wonderful person who wrote it. Thanks again.
Ya boy Maurice said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog... Ill say this I am a very religous person and yes we all fall short of the glory of GOD. I would rather live my life now as there is a GOD then live my life and find that there is a GOD and then go to hell. Yes I totally agree that humans are sexual beings.. I AM!

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...