Watches - by Andrew Rooney

I am always telling employees that one should never feel uncomfortable about correcting others (nicely, politely) on the pronounciation or preference of one's name. I hate it when people call me "Ashley". My name is Aislinge, not Ashley, and while I do allow people to call me "Ash", I will always correct those who call me Ashley. Aislinge doesn't translate that way. (Don't even think of asking what is does translate to from Gaelic to English. Not happening. Some wiseass will call me that.

Now, that is not the focus of this post. The focus is watches - a topic that Andrew Rooney talked about in one of his monologues. The same one I was watching about DNA testing. He pointed out that too many people have too many watches. He is not wrong. It's just funny that he had a whole five-minute piece on this.

I have several watches. Most of them are not actively being used. I have mostly digital watches but I so have a couple of regular face watches - I guess they'd be called analogue watches, eh? Of course. Some of them still work, others need a battery and some may not work at all. But I still have them all. I currently have a watch that has numbers, a glow-in-the-dark second hand, and a small window at the bottom that shows the digital time. The digital hand allows me to tell time; the second hand allows me to check pulse rates. It does it all. It's perfect.

It's my second one like it.

For me, unfortunately, the watch face is not the problem. The problem is my teeny-tiny ineffectual little hands and wrists. All watch bands are too big for me. All of them. I suppose I could get the kid-sized bands but those are not made in leather or anything other than cheesy colourful plastic and they are two small for my adult-sized watches. This has been an ongoing fight for a long time.

And I was pleased to see that Andrew wears his watch face down - I don't know if that is really what that is called, but I wear my watch on my inner wrist, not the outside. No one can see the watch face but me. I forget how I got into wearing them that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...