Quiz - Annoying Coworker?

Quiz: Are You the Annoying Co-Worker?
Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com

Every office has at least one jerk, pest or loudmouth who drives the rest of the workers crazy. Could it be you? Take this quiz to find out how annoying you might be:

How many of these statements describe you?
1) You make provocative statements to "foster dialogue" or needle others.
2) You often find yourself delivering a discourse consisting solely of buzzwords and catch phrases.

3) You make up nicknames for all of your co-workers and refer to them only by these names. (e.g. "Good job, Chachi!"; "I'm going to have to disagree with you there, T-bone!")

4) Your office is completely decorated in your children's pictures and artwork.
5) You have plastered your cubicle with photos of yourself taken with famous people.
6) It is your trademark to recite rhyming or other cutesy messages as your voice mail greeting.7) The questions you ask at meetings are preceded by long monologues of your views and accomplishments.8) You routinely eat odiferous lunches at your desk.
9) You bring in dishes that you tried to cook, but didn't turn out quite right as "special treats" for your co-workers.

10) People seem tense -- even panic-stricken -- when they see you coming their way.

11) Others back away from you as you speak.

12) You send flurries of e-mails to the rest of the company telling them what you are doing. (e.g. "If anyone needs me, I'll be in the bathroom.")

13) You vigorously chew or pop your gum.

14) You wear strong perfume or cologne.

15) You assume your co-workers are fascinated by your personal problems and exploits.

16) You interrupt others while they are speaking or are deep in conversation.

17) You are moody and don't care who knows it.

18) You often give others assignments as they're walking out the door for lunch or to catch the train home.

19) You borrow staplers, scissors and tape from others' desks and forget to return them

20) Your dialogue with others often end with the other person shouting "You are so annoying!"
If you only counted one or two, not to worry, you can quickly make changes before you're labeled a pest.

If your actions match three to five of these statements, take heed. You are on your way to becoming the source of many an eye roll.

If you do six or more of these on a regular basis, chances are you are already on the office watch list and have been anointed by your co-workers as annoying. It's time to do a reality check and make some changes.

Ask your boss and colleagues for feedback, and be ready to listen. If what you hear doesn't fit your self-image, ask them to help you understand what they are saying by giving examples. You might say: "Tell me more about what I do that leads you to believe that." Then listen, without arguing, defending or justifying your actions.

Remember, there are countless ways to aggravate co-workers -- you can even annoy them by trying too hard to please or being too nice! As long as you avoid the aforementioned behaviors, use your energy for the good of the organization, and treat others as you would like to be treated, you should be all right. And remember, it's perfectly okay to annoy others sparingly. It reminds them that you still exist!
A coworker sent me that, so here is my response:
Well, let's see... (I love quizzes!)

1. Hard to say. I do needle you but our relationship is more along the lines of "if you dish it you take it", so that wouldn't count. As a matter of general policy I do "open" friendly dialogues but only joke with those I know I can.

2. I'm not big on buzzwords and catchphrases. That would be like hanging Successory pictures - nauseating!

3. I do call certain people Sunshine as you well know - but only specific people like you!

4. Very little artwork, definitely no children's photos (yikes). But toys and fun things and some of my gem collection to add colour. Pictures are on the file cabinets but never on the desk, ever. Desk is strictly work space.

5. No famous people. Don't know any!

6. No cutesy voicemail. Nauseating. Cheerful and open but no catchy slogans!

7. Not really. I usually clam up in meetings with more than three or four people!

8. Odiferous lunches? No. Good lunches? Yes.

9. I would never try to poison my coworkers by attempting to cook!

10. Not usually. Maybe a little odd, but I dress odd and that is usually an eye catcher.

11. I have not had that happen. I never fire people standing up or in front of them, brush my teeth after eating garlic or onions and I don't yell at people.

12. I send a fair amount of e-mail but not to announce bodily functions.

13. Don't chew gum at all. If I did, I would pop bubbles - why else chew it?

14. Never. I've had too many people kill me in the interviewing process wearing boatloads of perfume, cologne, aftershave, smoke smell, coffee breath, you name it. Also in the summer cologne attracts bees, something I'm allergic to.

15. I only assume others are fascinated with my "exploits" if they ask!

16. Yes, I do interrupt. That I am completely guilty of!

17. I'm usually quite happy but make no effort to hide my general state of mind if it is different - it's not healthy to bottle up emotions.

18. I don't do that but I notice you do!

19. Everything I borrow I return!

20. Possibly Luis may have told me I'm so annoying but after 16 years together that is the least incendiary thing he might say! I know you tell me I'm annoying, but I have told you that countless times, and look - you are STILL annoying!

So I guess that makes me guilty of... let's see... four items. And yet, I know - KNOW - I am much more annoying than just that. But as long as I get the job done, I can live with it.

How'd you answer this quiz?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...