The Moon in All It's Glory

I took images all month of the Moon in its many phases. I love seeing the Moon at all times, but somehow I only take it in its full phase, which is completely unfair. The Moon looks glorious at all times; when it is a sliver hanging low in the crepescular light of the coming day, when it is half-full and waxing towards the most amazing showing, and when its full beacon shines to light the entire night sky. So here it is.

(I will tell you right now that it is very hard to get a good shot of it in its sliver phase! That was the best of several images.)

On 4 April 2009, I took this image. It was easy to get, and the Moon looks gorgeous. It looks kind of like a weird bowl that was rolling about. It was waxing, heading inexorably to its full stage. I've never ridden on a night where we looked at the waxing quarter-stage Moon and said to one another, "Uh-oh... it's gonna be a busy night..."

For some reason, the Moon wasn't really playing nice on 11 April 2009 and it wasn't full - not at that moment or that day. It was cloudy and crappy on the 10th and the Moon hit full at 10:56 - not its visible moment. Despite the disparate amount of overcast viewing moments, I managed to see a lot of the Moon. Yay!



The Moon waning in the morning on 18 April 2009. Sometimes I get the shots just right! The perfect sky, the perfect Moon, the best image. I love this picture.


The Moon is just a breath away from being new, or completely occludded from sight by the sun and daylight. I miss it when it is the before, the day of and the day after new. I was up each morning looking for it, but alas, too close to new is the same as new. Hard to believe that on the 24th this was all that was left to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...