Awake But Not for Long!

Friday, 23 April - I was up at 07:19, now it is 22:37. This habitual lateness thing would really be awful if I wasn't having so much fun at dinner. It's easier for me, I guess, since Luis is the one who has to get his butt out of bed in time for the conference to begin tomorrow at 08:30. I can sleep in, but I doubt I will. As mediocre as the free breakfast can be it is a complete breakfast and I don't mind the offerings. (This morning I went for the omelet with ham, tomato and green and red sweet peppers, a banana and some tea. Nothing like all protein to start the day.) Then I'll return to here, straighten everything up and then sneak into Faneuil Hall again... to Gems & Minerals by Geoclassics. Got to get more!

Today I bought two necklace earring sets, one with mother-of-pearl leaves and one with silver outline and gold-coloured leaves. While I never wear gold, the plating is accent to the silver, the main colour of the set. I also got a pair of silver square earrings with gorgeous deep green stones as leaves... No matching necklace, but I will figure something out. A rarity, also - moonstone necklace and matching earrings - love the rainbows inside moonstones!

I also picked up lovely snowflake Obsidian and a wonderful Malachite spheres... but there was a gorgeous smokey quartz sphere that is $150. I'm thinking strongly of getting it. I think this will be a must.

I was so disappointed to find out that the place that imported and sold Aran-knit sweaters was gone - they went out of business or moved away a couple of years ago. I love those sweaters and did not care the cost. Aran sweaters are made in Ireland and are wonderful. Thick, heavy and warm, these are the best that any sheep can give. I love wool. I don't find it itchy and the warmth is delightful. Those sheep are the best. I still have two Aran sweaters, but I wanted more. And (not to be weird or fussy) I wanted my Aran sweaters to come from Boston, the heart of Irish settlers.

Before I went shopping, I went on the Duck Tour out of the Science Museum. I asked for a kid-free tour. I got the closest thing - one without an entire class on it. There were about ten kids on it, but when two kids go out with two or three adults, then the kids are not all over the place misbehaving. On a ship with classes of kids and no visible chaperones, it is time to dump the little knits over the side!

I was surprised - this was a different tour than the one I took last time, when we stayed at the Pru Center (the Prudential Complex). The driver gave us some different information from the first tour, but the same stuff was good and correct; and he was funny. The different drivers dress as different people or characters or interests, so this driver had on a green Celtics suit. (Why they pronounce that with a soft "c" is a total mystery to me.) He razzed the kid who likes the Lakers. I have no interest in sports but he was funny.

We headed through downtown Boston, on Boylston, through the Charles River, but not over the new bridge (hold on... need to look up the name...), the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge. Good gods, no wonder I can't remember that name. It's too long. I love the bridge - it is gorgeous and moves nicely along - a rarity in Beantown. We did get some opinion on The Big Dig - but I agree that this is a stupidly long project - it's been going on 27 years. Yikes!

This is where I found out that Boston has 98 Dunkin' Donuts, 31 Starbucks, 2 Krispy Kremes that came and went (funny, that), and some kind of seafood place that is just south of Providence. (Why that last one, I don't know.) Ninety-eight Dunkin' Donuts. It's like the spread of the plague. Of course, it could be envy. Dunkin' Donuts always gives me the worst agita (spelling?).

I took a couple of videos of the tour, mostly on the water. It was so much fun. The driver, called the conDUCKtor, also let the kids who wanted to do some of the driving on the river. That's kind of neat. I thought about trying it, but it was more for the kids, so I just went for the ride.

We got back to the Science Museum around 13:15. I would have loved to peruse the museum, but another day of kid-packed something just was not something I could do. Not again. I survived the nightmare of a kid-packed whale watch and even made my way through some of the NEAQ Aquarium, but Day 2 needed to have a lot fewer unmonitored or over-active bored kids with their wussy parents.

I stopped in the museum gift shop which they'd never have in the members only section and got a sweatshirt that reads "Pluto: Revolve in Peace 1930 - 2008", another sweatshirt that reads "Science Museum - Boston" and a poster of the Moon. Then it was time to find my way back to the Green Line to get to Faneuil Hall.

What a city this is! How could anyone leave the greater Boston area and come to New Jersey? Not that I don't love New Jersey, but New England is so clean, and has better preserved history. The underground is awesome. (It's the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority and has big signs with a "T" to mark where it is, but I don't know if the nick name is the Underground, Metro, subway, train, etc.) Everything looks great. I love that the history is all over, even right in the midst of all the beautiful modern office buildings. Like the burial ground that is in the heart of Boston. It is an open area filled with graves and head- (and some foot-) stones that has been around since 1660; around it are all these tall buildings that clearly did not see the light of day until the 20th century. It's amazing. You would be hard pressed to find anything like that in New York City.

We went to a restaurant called Jacob Wirth Co. Restaurant, established in 1868. It is a German restaurant with a lager list that is longer than the menu. They have wines and harder liquor too, but the real draw was the beer (well, it would be tough to call most of the items on that list "beer", which would be insulting anyway. They offered mostly lagers). The place also had sing along with the piano guy. I had been told it was karioke, but was relieved to see it wasn't. You never really want to hear people who have been drinking copiously sing. Personally, you never want to see or hear Luis sing with or without the alcohol. He sounds completely nasal when he sings. Apparently he was a good singer when he was a kid. This ended when he became an adult (physically; mentally he has not reached adulthood).

The song book was a tome. Huge. The piano guy raced along (Yesterday by the Beatles is not supposed to go at that tempo) but it worked. The whole place was roaring along with him... proof that no matter how many bad singers there are, as long as the group has lyrics and keeps the timing right, it sounds pretty good. I took images and a fairly long video of everyone howling along. It's really funny. Dave was having a good old time with soda and water, which I understand completely. I did not have a drop of alcohol the whole trip, not that I ever do drink, and had a great time. If you need to drink to have fun, there is a much bigger issue...

We left in groups after this dinner. Last night we all left as one pack. Tonight there were some wanting to keep the party going and some of us were feeling our 40 plus years and really weren't into doing a late night. I'm never into doing a late night, but I'm not the norm and wouldn't think I was.

When Luis, the Long Island guy and I left, it was just the three of us (I have to get his name again from Luis or Susan - I'm not good with names and I had met over a dozen people in two nights). The Theatre District is interesting... I suppose they are all like this but the hookers and the teenagers traveling in packs and the not-so-warm-and-fuzzy people did not make me feel good about walking around at 22:00. (I was amused at the drug-dealer looking guy in the hopped up car with the bad music booming... and a little Chihuahua barking away!) Anyway, we caught the Green Line at the Commons and while waiting there for the train, there was an older man playing his banjo and singing... I loved it! He had CDs for $15 so I gave him $20 and grabbed one. I have to burn it to the server but since Luis had his server upgraded and fixed I can't locate it. Luis has to fix this. The Dixieland music was great and I'm eager to hear this.

When we got to the Blue Line to get to Airport, we found some of our group. That was nice! We caught the train and got our bus to the Embassy Suites. The group started chatting but I hiked it out of there and this time Luis followed along - it was 22:00 and I did not want to be up much longer.

The big question? What did I spend...? Ah... I did spend a bit, but I still have more than a week's salary left in card format and $400 in cash. Do I really want to bring home cash? No. I wanna get stuff!

(Saturday, 24 April - Side note: I went back to GeoClassics and found a good match to the green stone leaf earrings that I got yesterday. The stones are a lighter colour and more blue, and the shape of the pendant is round, but the format of the settings is the same and they match nicely. I love sets. I didn't find any rings that would be delicate and small enough for my tiny fingers, but I can get rings somewhere else. And yes, I did get the Smokey quartz sphere. It is striking!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...