A Follow Up to the Bizarre World of Mormonism

A friend sent me this:

"Hi Aislinge,
I was going to put this in the comment box on your blog and then thought I better not because if your new eBay friend reads it, she might be insulted.
Altho you might too.... but here it is anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I must be reading this wrong as my first thought was... wrestling... how strange a sport. Let's see, there was the Undertaker, Hulk Hogan, Papa Shango, the Boogeyman, etc. etc. and while I've never liked the sport even in the least, 2 seconds of it on t.v. and you've got to laugh. Maybe the version kids do in high school doesn't lead into a liking of the t.v. variety or vice versa but it's still at the very least about power and control over another human being and the comment 'our child kicked some serious Mormon ass' to me seems just as problematic as how some feel the Mormon lifestyle is. While I don't know much about Mormonism and would probably not find it something I would care to ever practice, to each his own. What makes one person or their beliefs that much better than anothers?If there's a predominantly large number of them in a certain area, then don't move there if you don't like their general lifestyle or beliefs. While the only Mormons I guess I know, and certainly not personally, are the Osmonds. They always seemed quite a loving, kind, hardworking family. But I can appreciate them for what they've contributed to the world and to enjoy them as entertainers without actually ever having to believe anything at all about their religion. Same with groups like the Amish. They are controversial in many ways but have contributed fine goods to the communities from their farms and handiworks, etc.
--------------------------------
That's all I had gotten to when I thought I will just send it to you in email. I already have a sort of political debate going with a couple people so I don't have the brainpower lately to bicker over this too. LOL

Have a good day!
Mary"

My response:

"Hiya, Mary,

As always, I appreciate your input; you are more fair to others than I. I've read waaaay too much on Mormonism (that was written without a slant) to believe it. And there is a large part of me that can't help but wonder how anyone buys into this!

Would you believe that Luis has on the 60 Minutes from last night and they are talking about - Mormonism! No alcohol, no coffee, no tea, no chocolate, eat meat sparingly, exercise... they live longer. Yikes. (OK, that wasn't nice...) I knew about the lack of caffeine although Ive forgotten why. I get that and I don't ingest much if any caffeine (and very little sugar now, too). But the rest of it... scares me. They are not too bad in the mainstream group although I don't like their overzealousness. But the Fundamentalist Mormons are the ones who really give me the willies.
Ah, the sacred under garments - they wear these long underwear things that they swear protect them. Steve Young, a football player, takes them off to play but otherwise wears them everywhere. Oh, the romance!

I don't know... maybe I'm worng and that is certainly possible. There is a whole lot I'm wrong about! But I find the Amish much more sincere or... what's the word i'm looking for...?... honest... no, that's not it... I can't think of it. But you know what I mean.

My friend, if she is that, is not a Mormon and would not be offended, and she had to move out there - something to do with her husband's job. I know I would not want to live there. But sometimes it is not so much your choice. She's making interesting observations and the funny thing is, I just read it to Luis and he said (with amazement), "You know, she's right... they all do look alike!" He rarely sounds amazed like that! So there must be something to what she said.

Even in the 60 Minutes footage, the former leader (he just died) said, "I look out at all of you and you may all look the same..." Wow.

You see what I mean.

Aislínge"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...