Starman

I'm sitting here watching Starman, the part where she is explaining to the starman about love and how her husband is dead. How do you explain that to someone from another planet? Actually, how cool would be to have to explain anything to an alien?! I would love to meet someone from another world. That would be amazing.

I think I would be a great first contact emmisary. How hard could it be? Well, I meet people all the time and I do it with a smile and make them feel at home. The things I could do to promote us as not being savages! Of course, once any alien saw our television viewing habits they'd be outta here like a shot. I know I feel that way when I see what most people watch!

This movie is one of the best, though. When he brought that deer back to life, I cried. Joyous crying, but still! I get the hunting thing, but I wouldn't and couldn't do it. I have no idea if I could do it for survival. I really don't know what I might do for survival but I hope never to find out.

My coworker likes to put me in hideous situations to make me say that I might do something hideous to survive. I hate that. I can come home and get that kind of abuse (Luis likes to do that, too). Thinking about this makes me think of a friend of ours, David DeGil. Some old amazing history there... I met Dave at the New York Renaissance Festival a million years ago - when I was 18 or 19. He's a little old than Luis, I think, so he'd be 42 now. Maybe more, but I don't think so. He worked at the NYRF as a drink hawker, and I liked him right away - good looking and funny. We were friendly, although it never was more than that, and then at some point he moved out of Flanders and to West Caldwell with some friends (Tom, Drew and Luis) and I would call him there.

Dave would constantly be busy, so he'd put me on the phone with his friend, Luis. Luis and I became friends that way, and then when my 21st birthday came up, some friends of mine threw a party for me and a mutual friend and Luis went with me. He gave me the first gift I ever got from him - the first three books from the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony: On a Pale Horse, Bearing an Hourglass and With a Tangled Skein.

The books were everything and more that he'd said, so I got the other two, Weilding a Red Sword and Being a Green Mother. Piers Anthony couldn't help himself and finished the series with For Love of Evil and And Eternity. The last one wasn't so good, but I loved For Love of Evil - about Satan. The books are all about the offices held by the Incarnations: Death (Thanatos), Time (Chronos), Fate (Clotho, Lachesis & Atropos), War (Mars or Aries), Nature (Gaea), Evil (Satan) and good (God). Satan and God are the eternals, but even they are offices held by mortals.

All of the offices are gained in different ways. Thanatos has to kill his predecessor, Chronos picks up the hourglass and lives backwards, Fate recruits people, Mars retires when there are no conflicts and the red sword goes to the most angry person on earth, and Gaea is chosen by her predecessor. Satan has to banish his predecessor to Hell and I'm not sure how God is normally chosen, but in this book, he is voted out by the Incarnations and the Senate, and the Incarnations vote in a new one. (Apparently God's apathy and non-involvement stemmed from his being a world-class narcissist. Doesn't sound wrong, does it?)

Luis is home and I started Starman over. I don't mind - always nice to share great movies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

The Longairc-Green Family