How Cool Is THAT?

I am really interested in law enforcement. I have a soft spot for the police. Granted, the hours are terrible and the retirement plan might not be the best, but wow - what a job. So when one of my acquaintances cancelled a get-together because he arrested three perps, well, how cool is that!

He did not sound nearly so enthused, but I was delighted! Three less criminals off the street, and what an exciting job! I only get to fire people... which can be quite exciting in itself, but usually it is quiet and fast and that is that. But people will always surprise you... I have fired some that I was positive would take it in stride and he or she completely went bananas; others I knew would be a problem, walked out never to return or be heard from... Just "thank you and goodbye". It's the quiet ones you need to watch out for! On the other hand, I offered someone a promotion and this individual did not so much as smile in response. Just looked at me... like I'd grown another head. It was quite strange and a little unnerving. I'm accustomed to reading people rather easily as a rule (I haven't many talents but this is one...) but this person... nothing! Not a single clue as to what is running through this person's head. That is disconcerting.

Back to the law enforcement person, the intended meeting was cancelled due to paperwork. I suppose that love it or hate it, this part of that particular job is the pits. I have no idea what the forms for arresting someone may be, but in HR forms are all there are and plenty of them. So curtailing one's freedom for the greater good must have a paperwork price that is unreal. OK, how many policemen do you know head toward this field because they like a nice, stable sedentary life? Um, that would be... None! Not one. I became an EMT for the excitement junkie in me that needs satisfaction - and to give something back to the community. Speaking of which, our tones just went off...

North Beverwyck Road for a woman in labor! Oh, man - I miss all the good stuff! I would love to be on that call but I am almost ready for bed and this would be a long call. Besides I hear Danny - we are enroute. Already! Excellent response time. As close as I am (right across the street from the squadhouse) I could not have gotten dressed that fast!
I haven't had a delivery yet. Maybe soon.

I have walked people to the grave, though... more than once. Something happy like a birth would be wonderful. Although being seven to 12 minutes out from the two closest hospitals, we don't actually deliver that many babies. Most labors are long and intensive.
Speaking of walking people to the grave, I had to write a letter to the government explaining that I could not garnish one employee's salary due his current condition: dead. The decedent won't be returning to work and I have no intention of paying someone who has called in dead. You can imagine how slow this will be to make its way to the right person... don't hold your breath!

Anyhoo, that is my thinking for the moment. It is unusual for me to post on a Wednesday. I normally do this on Thursday, when I am up anyway as it's my riding night, or over the weekend. Of course this week I'm on call tomorrow night and Saturday - every six weeks we have a Saturday night rotation. Wahoo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...