This is My Life...

And the weirdness continues...

My mother woke up this morning around 0915, tested her blood sugar and discovered it to be 34. This is low - really, really low. Like "get the paramedics right now" low. So what does she do? You would guess that she would drink some orange juice; have a glass of milk; maybe a bowl of Cheerios to jack up the ol' blood sugar. You would be right to do that. So what did she do, you ask? She shot herself up with 60 or 70ml of insulin!

Ray called me up sounding a little panicked. Ma shot herself up with a blood sugar of 34. Now he's feeding her jelly beans... Yikes! Is she slurring her words or sound or move like she's drunk? No. Any headache, nausea or vomiting? No. Hmmm. Well, you should really take her to Morristown Memorial, get her checked out. Just to be safe. You know, before she passes out and you can't pick her up...

Fine. No, wait, she seems okay. We'll keep feeding her and see what happens... Not my advice, but people are usually reluctant to go to the hospital as it eats up so many hours that you'll never get back, not unlike losing sleep. But fine, we'll wait and he'll call me in a half-hour to update me.

A half hour later he calls and tells me she wants to go to the hospital. OK. I'll meet you there.

I made sure to wear my EMT jacket. Make no mistake - this was totally purposeful as you know, just as the sun rises and sets, you will get better treatment there with that bit of name-dropping or what ever it is called. Great! I don't mean better medical care or faster treatment, but the nurses and doctor are much more pleasant and take the time to explain things more and really do present a more "we're here to help" and less of a "why are you wasting my time" attitude. This isn't pointing the finger. ER doctors and nurses are notoriously overworked and like us, see more BS things than real emergencies. My mother commits atrocious acts of gross stupidity, and this would normally result in a very desultory attitude but well, I am an EMT and I am referring my family to this particular hospital, so let's be more courteous...

I have to admit, the doctor saw us in no time at all. We got Ma triaged and in the Yellow Zone and a nurse came in briefly and before you know it, there's the doctor. Yay! Maybe the EMT thing does get faster service!

The doctor and nurses made it very clear and in no uncertain terms that this was a very boneheaded thing to do and please stop medicating yourself this way and thank you for coming.

I do lead an interesting life. Too interesting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...