In Sickness... And In Sickness

No, I'm not feeling too good.


What began as a mild cold has now turned into a full-blown flu, which had I been thinking, I'd have know that this would happen. I never get a "mild cold" - such a thing as that does not exist for me. I get knock-down, drag-out, kick you while you are down colds and nothing in between or less than that. Or I get something far more heinous. It's hard to say if I did this to myself... I mean, I know where the originating bug came from but neither vector has had any flu symptoms, so I can't benchmark what I have. Kids often carry the germs around and give them to a whole passel of people without ever coming down with it - likely they've already had it and so the germs are just using them to travel and spread to others. But Molly came down with symptoms (just more mild) as well. I'm the only one, though, who got hit with the full force of it.


Makes sense, really. Molly is constantly exposed to her children and so has more opportunities to build up her immunities just by going through the colds and illnesses that they bring home from school and daycare or friends. I have so little exposure to kids in my normal day-to-day living that I don't have the same opporutunities to build up a resistance to several strains of whatever in one shot. It is expected that parents will get sick a lot in the first so many months or years of their kids getting exposure to other kids, whether it is school or daycare or friends or playdates; and then after that, they will be immune to a lot of the childhood maladies that hit the common grounds listed above. School teachers go through that, too. But then there is me. No kids and not much exposure to them. The only child I spend any time with is Matthew, but he really isn't up to doing playdates and Alayna is a fulltime mom, so there is no daycare involved. He won't be heading off to school for a long time yet, so he is not down with something all the time the way more socially active children are.


Well. Reason 3,496 as to why I am not having children. They are carriers of contagion!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...