Saturday Six: Episode #249

1. What commonly-used word in speech annoys you the most? When did you hear it last used?

The word now. My mother used to use it as a "motivational tool" when I lived at home. Once I moved out of the house, I became immune to following her orders to do things around the house - I now have my own dishwasher to empty and such - but nothing could piss me off more than her saying it with that demanding tone!

And she did it this afternoon! Friggin' woman makes me crazy!


2. Which commonly-used word annoys you the most when you hear it mispronounced? What’s the most common mispronunciation you hear for this word?
Oh, this is my major pet-peeve time. People who pronounce "ask" as "aks" - that just pushes me right over the edge of sanity! I can't take it and it is a terrible physical effort to keep from correcting this. When we were interviewing for office positions I heard about six of the 20 candidates we met with say that and both of us cringed. I even used the word "ask" in following sentences and every one of them missed the verbal cue completely!



3. Which word(s) do you wish people would use more often?

Any of them that are over six letters and/or one syllable - favourite words: obsequeous, puscillanimous, humunculous, egregious, what else...? I love words, I love the English language. Oh, yes, I told one employee that he was ubiquitous (I guess I really enjoy those descriptive words - everything here ends in "ous") and he looked at me with that totally blank look. I had to explain it!

4. Take the quiz: What’s Your Word?
Life is:
Interesting
Short
Confusing
Precious
Beautiful
Good
If you had lived in 17th century Europe, you would have been:
An inventor
An explorer of the New World
An artist
A saint
A philosopher
A poet

Your life will be a disappointment if...
You don't make the world a bit better
You lose faith in people
You don't figure anything out
You don't cherish your friends and family
You let your worries control you
You don't continue to grow, change, and learn

If you were instantly a multimillionaire, you would:
Spend a lot more time with your family
Travel the world
Work on a cause you believe in
Go on a meditation retreat
Read. A lot.
Devote your time to volunteering

Time flies when you:
Are able to be relaxed
Are figuring something out
Are helping someone with something
Are learning something
Are on an adventure
Are with the people you care about


Your Word is "Fearless"
You see life as your one chance to experience everything, and you just go for it! You believe the biggest risk is being afraid and missing out on something amazing. Sometimes your fearlessness means you're daring. You enjoy risky activities. And sometimes your fearlessness means you're courageous. You're brave enough to do the right thing, even when it's scary.


5. Which internet expression or abbreviation do you use most often?




Uh, well... lingually I don't use abbreviations. But for documentation I often use "EE" - Human Resources shorthand for "employee", just as "ER" is shorthand for "employer". But I never really shorten words when speaking. I consider that an abuse of the language - ANY language!



6. Which internet expression or abbreviation would you most like to see disappear forever?

I suppose all of them. I can understand when e-mail cost $19.95 an hour that people shorten lingo and come up with such insanely stupid things as "OMG" but now in a world where your Internet access and text messaging is a very low flat rate there is just no excuse to continue this awful practice. It is perfectly hideous to see messages now: "R U going 2 store?" HOW did this become okay?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...