Happy Birthday to Me & Facebook!

Maybe I should entitle this "How the Hell Do I Know 218 People?!"...


I had an amazing birthday and Facebook is resonsible for a disproportionately large percentage of this! I had birthday wishes by BOATLOAD. I had many, many comments on my wall, maybe more than I have gotten for the (almost) whole year I have been on Facebook!


But while wall comments and messages through Facebook and my e-mail are all great, and I appreciate each and every one of them, I especially loved this:

It's a card from a guy I went to high school with, a John Tamoosh. Tell me that isn't a funny card, a really cute thing. I happen to like cows, I always thought cows are kind of neat (I suspect this particular specimen is a steer or bull, but hey, it is still in the bovine family!). But that is not what John was thinking.
He was thinking he is just doing what everyone else is doing - sending birthday greetings. I love it, though, and for whatever reason, it struck a chord with me - a really nice one.
I've been cogitating endlessly of late about the wonder of finding so many people I went to school with and discovering much to my shock that the way I saw myself is not at all what they saw. How did that happen? Why did I not know this? But it is amazing. It is also very heartening.
I don't think John and I had much if any real interaction in school. I had little interaction with anyone, and he was on the football team - probably one of the groups I had the least interaction with (wondering why? Watch any John Hughes movie - I was always in the "weird, reject" group and the "jocks" were the revered god-like choosen ones). In the adult world, it is not the end of life as we know it to be in the weird, reject group - I haven't moved out of it, it's just acceptable now! But now it is okay to cross the boundaries of the cast system that so ruled high school life.
Anyway, John, thank you for the card! It made my day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...