Coccoon

If you haven't seen this movie, then see it. It's a charming, wonderful, fun movie.

Ignore Steven Guttenberg's roll, which had a little too much of the ridiculous. Tahnee Welch was okay, but not amazing. But Wilford Brimley, Don Ameche, Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, Maureen Stapleton, Gwen Verdon and Brian Dennehy were just delightful.

Some aliens come to Florida to rescue some of their friends who were left behind when Atlantis sank. While spending most of their time out in the ocean, they had rented the house next door to an old folks community with the assisted and unassisted living options.

They discovered that something in the pool, now cluttered with strange, large rocks, made them feel really good, really young and revitalised. They asked their new neighbours to allow them to continue to use the pool. In the end, the aliens had an offer for them that was too good to pass up.

It's a great movie. And maybe there is that element of fantasy - wouldn't you like to reverse the aging process if you could? You wouldn't get the younger body back, but to be healthy as a 20-year-old, not get any older or die? What's not to like about that?

This movie came out when I was a kid, in 1985, when I was 17. At that age, there is no envy of that due to being immortal (please tell me you didn't think you'd get older then. You wanted to be older then, to have the adult life and freedom); but now, with DMII and being on the other side of 40, I can see the appeal of living forever. I suppose not everyone would want that. But I'd personally like to extend my life especially if it meant being frozen at this age and getting rid of the tinnitus, DMII, weight problems, etc.

Usually I'd agree that living forever wouldn't be the best idea but this would be as explorers of the universe. For me, that would be fulfilling a dream (since it is a forgone conclusion that NASA won't be calling me up offering me a Moonwalk). I couldn't say no to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...