Cadaver Lab!

Before you get all worked up with either excitement or the taste of bile, it was a short experience.

But it was F***ING AWESOME!

OK, now that I got that off my chest! I got there around 0840, was given gown, gloves, booties and a cap, got all dressed up and went down with the first class. There were two cadavers, much older people. They were there for the practicing of intubating, something I've seen done time and again, but not like this. They all showed me how it was done and then the doctor had me try it as well. I asked a million questions and I loved it. I also found out how to get the air out of a hemopneumothorax and put in a small but very strong needle into the bone marrow of the tibula or shoulder of someone that you can't get fluids into any other way! I really enjoyed it.

Unfornately, when I returned to the upstairs after going through several rounds of this, there were no other bodies so there was no more cadaver lab! I was crushed. There was no smell (at least nothing objectionable) and I was so ready to see a lot more and do a lot more. But there were not enough bodies donated to science. (At first the woman said there were not enough dead bodies in Newark and I know what the look on my face said - not possible! She laughed and said there weren't enough dead bodies in Newark that were donated to science.)

I had to laugh at that.

But it was really amazing, even if there were not enough dead people!

Comments

CrystalChick said…
What an interesting experience. Glad you got to do it.
After my Mom died I sort of remember wondering about embalming and the funeral process. Never took any steps to find out what happens or how but even after all these years it's still a little interesting. Don't think the local parlor would be having an Open House any time soon though. ;)

Have a great day.
Anonymous said…
hey- its me..

I'm glad you had a great experience. It was my pleasure to be able to help you out on this. If I can do it again for you.. I will..

*smile*(

L

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...