Drug

Yes, drug.

What are you thinking when you read that word? Don't tell me, let me guess... marijuana. Cocaine. Meth amphitamines. Herione? How about pills? Hydrocodone? Oxycontin? Something in a the 'pams? Lorazipam, Clomidapam? Possibly lithium?

I know what you weren't thinking. Drug - the past tense of drag.

I bet you didn't know that. Neither did I until I worked at USII and it showed up in a disciplinary report. Ye gods. "So-and-so drug a pallet across the warehouse..." Say what? Yes, that's right. Apparently the past tense taught in school, dragged, is not actually correct. Whoops. How did I miss that?

This was a supervisor.

How does anyone learn such appalling language skills? How does this go on? Shouldn't someone hear this and say something? I managed to not say anything, biting holes in my tongue all the while. It was a physical effort. Not to mention the first time I read the report I had to close my office door so that someone wouldn't walk by and think I needed oxygen!

The fact is that Americans speak and write poorly. It is more common to poor skills in this area than not. And it scares me. Look at how many people who can't write, can't speak properly, who run companies, teach people, get into office. Yikes! Maybe I should not pay attention to it or I should tune it out, but I really can't. I can spend half of a five minute conversation correcting the improperly used words and pronunciations.

I know I can speak. I know I can write. But I see how many cannot. It is disheartening.

Comments

CrystalChick said…
Going back and forth in emails with a few different people I have gotten to know their style. Some are great at telling a story but can't spell, others can't really tell a story but are funny, some use words properly but are boring. To me, if I like a person all that doesn't matter.

You know I use some abbreviations. Okay, alot of them with some girlfriends. On Facebook remember you asked me what BIL was. Brother-in-law. If I'm not in the mood, I don't bother typing some things out. I'm lazy in other areas too. ;)

LOL I use alot, because I really do 'laugh out loud' sometimes at the way a person will say or write something.
And I'm sure I've said things like drug instead of dragged. :(
But otherwise I'm fabulous!!
And so are you! Have a nice weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...