A.W.A.D. - Word Medley

I love words. It's something I gave up my career in software for. Every morning when I wake up I can't wait to begin exploring words and writing about them. I've been doing that for 14 years and wouldn't want to be doing anything else.

Having said that, there are times when I feel I have to be ready to feed this beast -- A.Word.A.Day -- week after week after week. It opens its hungry maw every Monday and I had better be ready with another serving of juicy, delicious words.

I do my best to come up with new recipes, new arrangements, new flavors. There are times, however, when I just have to reach into my grab-bag of loose words and offer them while I think of a new topic. It's one of those weeks.

Enjoy this medley of words while I get back to the word lab putting finishing touches to next week's material.
logy
PRONUNCIATION: (LO-gee)
MEANING: adjective: Lethargic, groggy

ETYMOLOGY: Perhaps from Dutch log (heavy)

prolix
PRONUNCIATION: (pro-LIKS, PRO-liks)
MEANING: adjective: Tediously wordy.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin prolixus (extended, poured), from liquere (to flow), which is also the source of words such as liquid, liquor, licorice. Now you see the connection -- why consuming liquor makes people prolix.

cadastral
PRONUNCIATION: (kuh-DAS-truhl)
MEANING: adjective: Of or relating to a map or survey showing property lines, boundaries, etc.

ETYMOLOGY:From French cadastre (an official register of the details of real estate in an area, used in determining taxes), from Italian catastro, from Greek katastikhon (list, register), from kata stikhon (line by line).

corpulent
PRONUNCIATION: (KOR-pyuh-luhnt)
MEANING: adjective: Large, bulky, fat.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin corpus (body). Ultimately from the Indo-European root kwrep- (body, form) that is also the source of corps, corpse, corporation, corset, corsage, and leprechaun.

mythologem
PRONUNCIATION: (mi-THOL-uh-jem)
MEANING: noun: A basic theme of a myth, for example, revenge, honor, betrayal, etc.

ETYMOLOGY: From Greek mythologema (mythical narrative), from mythologein (to tell mythical tales), from mythos (myth) + -logos (word or speech).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

The Longairc-Green Family