Roe and Boston Legal

I've rarely had occasion to disagree with Boston Legal, but this time I definitely not okay with their opinions here. Wel, until the end. Then Alan Shore said a lot of good points to support Roe v. Wade. I was relieved.

The episode opened up with a 15-year-old girl who hired Alan Shore to get her a judicial bypass to overrule her mother's not giving parental consent to have an abortion. Alan agreed to take it when Denny Crane said something about helping the girl to "burn in hell forever". Good for him! I can't believe anyone would say such a bizarre thing.

Well, when Alan went to Shirley to have her on the case, she was not interested in doing it. She said that she is a parent and knows that once down this road, it haunts you forever. I almost launched myself off of the couch. I am one of many women who has been down this road, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself and for a kid, bar none. I am hugely prochoice for a reason. I hated the idea of having children and at 19 I was not going to sell my life cheap and saddle myself with a baby.

I have made many, many decisions that I wondered about or agonised over but this wasn't one of them. I have always known what I would do if the situation came up. I never had a doubt and had considered this before I became sexually active. And the circumstances were not such that I have ever used a surgical procedure as a means of birth control. I was on the pill at the time, but had received upsetting news and had forgotten my pill for three nights. Well... that is all it took. Since then, it has never come up or been an issue.

I thought I was going to scream when Denny told Alan that people hold on to Roe v. Wade to convince themselves that this is the right thing to do - have done - when faced with their own decision. Again I disagree. I never give this much thought because it has never been an issue to me. And I don't say "fetus" or "procedure" to make it sound pretty or more clinical and less a criminal act on some level. I have no caring for what religions dictate and less for sugarcoating anything. I say "baby" and "abortion" quite easily!

So here it is. One of the very few things on which we disagree!

Do as you will and do what is right for you, but don't take away my right to choose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...