Grace

Read this Web site with a post called "Grace". It will be worth it, believe me.

http://lauriekendrick.wordpress.com/

I have said all the things that she did but at separate times. I've been unemployed and felt the loser logo hanging over my head. I have been at the lowest point especially when without employment, and I know that feeling all too well. I have said more than once that the strange political fervor that I see is so foriegn to me. She wonders what people think Obama will do for them; I wonder why my coworker had a total meltdown over the outcome of the presidential election. Did a Democrat run over his dog?

I certainly agree that Obama has no chance of fixing all of the issues. No one can. And I don't know that he can fix anything. I don't know if his wife is the bigot that everyone says she is. I can't believe anyone when it comes to statements about McCain or Obama because there is much more misinformation than information floating around out there. I do think that Palin was a pity-vote, a minority answer to Obama's semi-minority status (he is half African American, not wholly), and a religious mental midget with her own agenda. And she has to give back the wardrobe.

Amusingly.

However, the McCain platform was one I could not be on board with. Obama is going to raise taxes? Well, so what? It is not as though it will be a separate bill that we will get in the mail; it will be in the groceries, in the fuel, in the frivolous things that we buy. It will come out of my paycheck. I don't have an issue with that. I don't have any expectation that my taxes will do anything other than go up. Why should anyone else have an expectation that theirs won't?

I don't want to see the wealthy (by whatever line or measure a person is deemed to be wealthy) get hit with some extra tax. How is that fair? Why should anyone be made to feel less of themselves or penalised or as a pariah for earning more money? Do you think that those people did not work their asses off to get to the level of income they [should] enjoy? Why isn't the taxation process just an even percentage across the board?

Let's say 40% aggragate tax for all, with one exception. Just one:

If your annual income is under the poverty level plus $2,000, you pay 30% in taxes. Maybe that is what the system should have. Luis thinks he paid 26% in federal or 43% aggragate taxes. That's rather high, but there it is. Of course, he is in a much higher tax bracket than I am. But I hate the penalisation of wealthy while turning around and offering weird incentives.

How'd I get off on this tangent?

Well, read that. It is worth it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for linking to my post, "Grace". Emotions typed it faster and with more fervor than my fingers did, I assure you.

I see that you and I have walked in similar pumps. I resepct what you said and what you've endured.

I'd like to share something if I may--I'm learning that it takes a BIG person to accept full responsibility for their own happiness. It takes an even BIGGER person to accept full responsibility for their own unhappiness, but it takes a spiritual GIANT, who upon realizing any degree of unhappiness, decides to be the change they seek - in spite of having to endure the "same old, same old" that may still linger on for awhile.

Life's like that, isn't it? This conundrum of positive and negative energy that we sometimes have to process at the same time. But the human spirit is amazing; especially what can be the cumulative result of this process.

And that's insight.

I equate it to the Watts Towers in East Los Angeles. They were built from trash and as the hackneyed expression goes, turned in to treasure. They've been the center of controversy for years because some still called them trash, others saw them as ad hoc pop art. So, the debate continues--it comes down to how we view them--if we see these towers as works of art or just artistically placed trash, well, that's entirely up to us. Perspective is everything---how we view life, our love...our jobs....our husbands....girlfriends...ourselves.

Perspective is actually all about choice. I choose to see the towers from two combined perspectives---as
"trashy art" and that works for me. I also think that's effectively how I'm going to have to reconcile all the current life altering changes in realm...and yes, that will also apply to my perception of the impending new Administration.

Best,
Laurie Kendrick
Houston
CrystalChick said…
I haven't gone over to read that story yet, but will soon.

I like the Obama family.
The way Barack talks about Michelle is genuine. He calls her his best friend, his confident, etc. She's a strong woman. I think she will continue to be a good role model for not only their children but many others. I don't see them having any agendas other than wanting to better America and to help people live a decent life. Whether or not he can make things considerably better in this country remains to be seen. You certainly can't please everyone. I think he will try with the best of his ability to bring about situations that will
be beneficial to people in all catagories.
But as I said before, he's one man. People have to understand that he is going to need help. We can't all sit back and just expect him to fix everything. And some people really do expect that.
As for taxes go... yes, it's inevitable that things will go up in price. And I don't think that the wealthy should necessarily pay extra but I also don't think that they should be given all the breaks either.
On my blog recently I had mentioned a situation where I was penalized 25 bucks because my business checking was under $1,000.
My business is seasonal, craft fairs, etc. so there are months I don't deposit or withdraw, but the fees are still there regardless. Multi-bazillion dollar business owners get all sorts of tax breaks, incentives, and have loopholes all over to avoid paying. That isn't right. I think you should be able to earn a very lucrative salary (well, some salaries I disagree with, but that's another topic altogether) but at the same time be responsible about making contributions to things.

Okay, I'm rambling...
chat with you later. M

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...