Saturday 9 - Turn Back the Hands of Time

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


1. There's a Time Genie. She can put you back in time to relive a day that you loved. If you could turn back the hands of time, what day would you relive if given this opportunity? Hmmm. Wow, any day at all that I wanted to relive... goodness, that's hard. But on reflective thought, I would happily relive my day in Yellowstone National Park, because WOW, what a day that was!

2. What did you do yesterday? Let's see... Luis and I slept in a bit, made love, went to the mall, then saw Puss In Boots and then came home and had a lovely evening together. Now, yesterday was Monday because I've gotten to this late, but it was still a nice day. Luis is off from work all this week. I will say seeing the movie was not the high point. Today we saw Hugo and this was far, far better!

3. You've been given 3 parachutes, but there are 4 people who need them. Who will you not give one to: Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen, Kim Kardashian, or Simon Cowell? Why? Goodness, me oh, my. Can I keep all of them? Oh, no, I guess that sounds too mean, ha ha. Well, what a choice. I would have to say Charlie Sheen gets to go splat. It is not the two girlfriends, I'd never hold living the American male dream against him; it's the rest of his behaviour. He tells it like it is a release but he really sounds like a total nutter, eh?

That was a tough one! You managed to pick all very reviled people. I'd have to admit that Kim Kardashian came in a very close second with the refusal to return the $2 million engagement ring for "sentimental reasons" - what an idiot!

4. Where are you going and where have you been? Uh, is this a movie line? I've been many places and it is my intention to go to many more!

5. They say that books read as a child make more of an impact on a person than books read at any other time in life. Are there any books that you particularly loved, that shaped the way you think when you were little? Oh, yes, but I haven't the time to list them all. The biggest impact came from Madeleine L'Engle's books, which were wonderful and easy to bond with the characters. I don't remember a lot of books from school - they always seemed to purposely pick the worst possible reading choices for me - but my parents taught me to read very young and my grandparents definitely encouraged it. I have two little tidbits that stand out in my memory:

1. When I entered the school system in the first grade (I never went to kindergarten), I was far beyond the reading curriculum of 1974. I remember they were reading Dick & Jane books, which I read in three seconds and was beyond bored. I read much higher than that. (Now, at math, however, I was totally stunted and to this day, I still am! So I am not any kind of wonder, outside of reading huge books in a short time!)

2. My grandmother was not much of a reader - she thought the tepid romance novels from Harlequin were a big deal - but when I was around 8 or 9 she bought me a set of four Judy Bloom books: Are You There, God, It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Iggy's House and Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself. All I can say is she had NO IDEA what she bought me, just that she had heard these were great books for kids my age. She must have missed the articles about how controversial these books were! In Are You There, God, It's Me, Margaret the underlying story is about girls wondering who will be first in their circle of friends to kiss a boy or get her first menstrual cycle. I know if she had known the subject matter in ANY of these books, she'd've flipped her lid!

6. What do you look forward to most in the next six weeks? If you are asking if I'm looking forward to Christmas, the answer is not so much; this is the first holiday out on permanent disability and since the government has not seen fit to bestow upon me my benefits that I've worked my ass off to get, so it will be a holiday paid for entirely by Luis (it sounds nice, but it really just underscores my financial dependence and makes me feel like shit). However, the one bright spot is that we are going to Maryland and Virginia to visit first Anna and Kirk, my sister and brother in law, whom we love to pieces and then to my cousin Renee's house with Alex to visit them, my aunts, uncle and other cousin Justine and I should think Alex's parents as well. I love seeing my family on Christmas Eve and we will have fun.

7. What was the last text message you received? I haven't - I have it disabled on my phone. I hate the texting craze and as an EMT, I go to far too many accidents from fender-benders to fatalities thanks to texting.

8. Do you prefer to call or text? I prefer to call. I prefer e-mail, really, but I have my wonderful stupid phone and am very happy with it.

9. What were you doing at 9PM last night? Well, let me think. I was giving my husband soft rubs as he calls it and we were watching Once Upon a Time on the telly (through the TiVO) while laying on the couch. It was very nice.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...