Saturday Six - Episode #395

How many different kinds of “American English” are there?

Apparently, there are enough variations for someone to have produced one of those little internet quizzes. Therefore, I thought I’d produce this week’s silly little Saturday Six based on the topic!

Thanks for dropping by and I hope you enjoy this week’s set of questions!

Be sure to check back this week and click on the links of bloggers who play along in the comments below! It’s a great way to find blogs you may not have visited and keep the conversation going!

Here are this week’s “Saturday Six” questions. Either answer the questions in a comment here, or put the answers in an entry on your blog… But don’t forget to leave a link to your blog so that everyone else can visit! Permission is not granted to copy the questions to message boards for the purpose of having members answer and play along there. Enjoy!

1. Do you think you have the same accent as most of the people who live in your neighborhood, or do you sound like you’re from somewhere else? I sound like I'm from somewhere else but no one knows where. I've had people ask me if I'm from Germany, Austria, Ukraine... I don't know why, but I don't mind at all.

2. Have you ever been mistaken by a stranger as being from somewhere other than your place of birth? If so, what’s the farthest from your hometown one has guessed you’re from? Yes, see above. As usual, I'm ahead of you! When I went to the British Isles in 1985, people thought I sounded like the locals. I tend to pick up local accents, usually without realising it. But I have not been to the above-mentioned countries, so I have no idea what that's about. It took me about six weeks to lose the Irish accent I picked up in Ireland.

3. If you had to come up with a name for the dialect you hear most often, what would it be? The "idiot dialect" that seems to be found in younger people here... and what is with putting the word "like" 15 times in three sentences? How did that happen? I hate that - it drives me crazy!


I don't speak American English. But we shall see what this says...

You Speak Yankee! Post it now!

45% Yankee
30% General American English
15% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
5. What regional word or expression common to your area do you find yourself using most often? Hmmm. I am not one to pick up phrases unless they are proper English. I hear my father say, "the reason being" (and others I know say it) and I jump all over him about it - it's awful to say that. There is no such phrase in English spoken properly as "the reason being".

6. Which regional word or expression common to your area do you hate the most? Well, you won't believe it, unless it has somehow made it your area. People here say "aks". Wondering what the hell that is? It's this gods-awful bastardisation of "ask". Yeah, isn't that appalling? Who does this?! And yet, three years ago when looking for an Accounting person, we had tons of interviewees say, "I want to aks a question." Thanks, goodbye! 

If you have a Reader’s Choice question you’d like to see asked (and answered), send me an email! I’d love to include it in a future edition of the Saturday Six.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...