Coldplay - Viva la Vida

Four stars!

'On the brilliant, anthemic title track of Coldplay's fourth studio disc, Chris Martin sings about remembering past glories: "I used to rule the world/Seas would rise when I gave the word." But as Viva la Vida demonstrates, Coldplay's world domination is very much in the here and now. This is the work of the band at the peak of its powers, the album to beat in 2008 - hands down. Building on 2005's excellent X&Y, the CD finds Coldplay stretching out sonically with the help of U2 producer Brian Eno (only furthering the case for this quartet as the new U2). Their more extensive sound extends from flamenco rythms to Middle Eastern textures and sweeping strings and hard-rock guitars. On "Yes", maybe the darkest place they've ever gone, the famously falsettoed Martin even explores his lower register to eerie effect. The tour de force, though, comes on "42", a three-part epic that starts off as a classic Coldplay piano ballad, into a prog-style instrumental jam and turns into a full-on stadium stomper. As on other songs, the specter of death lurks: "Those who are dead are not dead/They're just living in my head." But Coldplay has never sounded more vital.'

How much do I love Chuck Arnold from People Magazine? He nailed it right on the head. I really love Vida la Vida, Yes, 42 and Life in Technicolor - all great songs! I was wrong about the Hindi music influence, it was Middle Eastern! I admit it, I don't know everything.

But I do know great music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...