A Study with Multiple Participants

As usual, I came home, lit some candles, put on the telly (that provides strictly background noise), changes into slouch-around-the-house pants, and what do you think I did next?

I opened up my laptop and went right to several sites: Yahoo! for my e-mail, Blogger to post various things (mostly Coldplay lyrics), NOAA to check the weather, and Facebook for different things, and lastly, ebay. Good old evil ebay - it's great but scary. I spend too much. I digress, however.

No, this is about one of my many waiting e-mails... from the Bean in England. She sent this:

"I like you because of who you are to me.... A true friend. And if I don't get this back I'll take the hint. Something good will happen to you at 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. tomorrow."

There were a bunch of very airbrushed images and cutsey sayings and the usual folderol about how this needs to get sent or life as you know it will end. I love debunking this sort of scandelously bad psychology, and I've done so on my own, but now it is time to get more participants into this case study. So I am sending this e-mail:

"As usual, I need to put this to the test. And since I've tested it numerous times myself, it is time to broaden this study!

Empirically speaking, if you are a positive thinking adherant, many good things will happen to you between 1300 and 1600 - unless the author of this meant 0100 - 0400, in which case, I know - KNOW - something good will happen! I will be sleeping! Sleeping is good.

As you know, I blog about this stuff all the time. Here is the page address (http://traislinge.blogspot.com/ - posting of 23 June entitled A Study with Multiple Participants), so me a favour and tomorrow after 1600, please add a comment telling me what happened to you between 1300 - 1600. Be as detailed or not as you wish, just keep in mind that I'll post it (unless you tell me not to; but I won't use your actual name unless you tell me to, so it'll be anonymous!). Be part of the experiement!

This only went out to real, honest-to-goodness-I-consider-you-my-friend, people that I am at least mostly confident will want to participate. It's going out to a total of 9 people plus me, so I can easily give percentages on this... and how it works out. You do need to follow the instructions of sending this out to 5 people in 5 minutes. I'm doubling the number to be sure I can handle the percentage math!"
So that is the experiment. Stay tuned for tomorrow's posting about the Conclusion of the Study!

Comments

CrystalChick said…
Here are two things that happened between 1 & 4. Neither very spectacular, but for whatever it's worth:
I did get a phone call from my sister saying that a neighbor of hers had passed away and shared the story of what happened with me. Maybe this is interesting in that my sister and I don't really have much contact. We used to be BEST friends until my Dad died and then we had to split some property/possessions and things just totally fell apart. To the point we didn't speak for years. Now, things are civil but still only revolving around when something specific happens, like a birth or a death. I miss the times I used to have with her but I know that it will never be that way again. Our relationship must have been meant to change for whatever the reasons. So it was nice to chat for a little bit but we still have our guard up in some ways and she went on about her day and her life and I went on with mine with no promises or plans.

The other thing that happened was a friend called and asked if I wanted to meet her for lunch. Last time I called her she wasn't able to go, and this time I wasn't. But it was nice for the call and the offer anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...