A Follow-Up to Daylight Saving Time

In September or October of 2005 I put up a lengthy post about Daylight Saving Time and what I'd learned about it. It was rather disappointing to discover the real reason for having it. However, at the same time, Bush, in one of those few and fleeting moments of something resembling wise thought (GASP!) put into effect the staggering of the length of Daylight Saving Time with, one hopes, the idea of abolishing it altogether.

The change from having Daylight Saving Time begin in early April and end in late October took place in 2007 and seems to be the better for it. Now I am curious to know if the plan will continue this way or if some decision has been made to merely keep the clocks forward and be done with it...

So let us see.

Who to avoid: http://www.standardtime.com/ These nutballs start out on the right idea - let's just keep the clocks where they are now. But then they get into an area of putting the US on a two-time zone set up where the east coast in to the middle would be one time (ex: 10:00) and the midline to the west coast would be two hours behind (08:00)! No, thank you. There is nothing wrong with the time zones as defined in 1883, let them stand. My only head ache is with the actual Daylight Saving Time, which is slightly misguided in its nomenclature if nothing else: you cannot save time.

I personally like my daylight at the end of the day, and not to play golf (more's the pity, considering where I work). I just like it that way. I could learn to live with it the other way, having it in the mornings. However, the flip-flopping back and forth is what gets old and fast. There is just no need to torture us poor souls who cannot adjust so easily to the change in time.

Well, as usual, Bush did not live up to any kind of expectation - not that he should anyway - but there is no end in sight for this. I have seen clock change dates projections to 2011, but anyone with a calendar far enough ahead can predict this as far as they'd like. I just am not a fan of the change. It is disruptive and pointless. And don't hand me any crap about saving energy - people may be using it more in the morning or more in the evening, but they will be using it. And in a world of instant energy (electricity), night owls will always live on free to burn it all night long in an effort to keep their nocturnal world alive.

I guess I will be with you all on 2 November, bleary-eyed and wondering what happened to life as I'd become accustomed to it from early March, a lifetime ago!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...