Saturday 9 - Ready or Not

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Ready or Not

1. When severe whether happens, generally speaking, are you ready for it? As ready as I can - we had Hurricane Irene stop in for a visit. Many of the squad members had 24 to 48 hour stints on call between medical issues and then standbys in parts of town that have unlivable houses and apartments. I was bitten by a couple of man-sized mosquitoes last night just taking out the garbage - mosquitoes that left three very painful welts that hurt into the muscle. The doctor asked me what I crashed into until I said to look closer. Then the bite is visible. Ugh. How do you get ready for that?

Karen sitting in the living room Sky Chair.
It was actually amusing to see people get ready for Irene. They ran like lemmings to the store and bought all the milk, bread and batteries - I would swear that there was not a battery this side of the Mississippi. I saw people wheeling out carts with 5 gallon containers of water. That's great if you have a dispenser but totally useless without one. I wonder why this was the main purchase. I always keep bread in the house and the same with milk; I never run to the store in a swivet because of weather.

2. If you could wake up tomorrow with a new talent, what would it be? Oh, I would love to teleport, just wink out here and appear in Ireland or France or where ever I could go. Luis always says he wants to be able to fly, but that would take a long time and you might get shot out of the sky if you were sighted by dangerous countries like Afghanistan.

3. What do you strive for in life? Happiness. That is the most important thing in the world.

4. If you were given a vacation home and you could have it anywhere, what location would you choose? Palm Springs, California. I love the desert! I keep telling Luis to save his shekels, because this is where we are going to live when we retire. Well, when he retires... I'm already there.

5. Do you feel energized or drained by being in a group situation? If the answer is "it depends," on what does it depend? Not to worry, I'm one to explain my answers. Yes, it does depend. A group that I know and am comfortable is much easier for me. I know my audience, so to speak and know what is appropriate and acceptable to discuss and who needs what to make the group dynamic work. With a new group of people, I am not energised - I'm nervous and feel drained very quickly, especially if is not a good dynamic and there is a lot of stress or strain.

6. When you're sick do you take "sick days" or do you force yourself to continue working? When I was sick, really sick (a fever was definitely really sick) I stayed home. I know that there is no benefit to working when I can not function properly and it will take twice as long to get over it. The other thing is why come in and spread more germs and sickness to the rest of the staff? Granted, one is sick prior to being symptomatic, but once I know I'm contagious, I most definitely do not want to decimate the rest of the staff.

7. What is your absolute favorite piece of furniture you have and why? I have two Sky Chairs, these wonderful hanging chairs that are hung from the ceiling and both are decorated with Christmas lights. (I decorated them last Christmas and liked it so much I kept the lights on them. It's cheerful and brightens up the room.) They are also very, very comfortable and will hold up three hundred fifty pounds of weight. Each one has a foot rest, arm rests and a drink holder. And they are both hung at just the right height... for... well. Use your imagination!

8. When you go out, where do you like to go? What do you like to do? I enjoy going to museums, the planetarium and other science and/or history type places. I enjoy learning new things all the time. We go to movies, too (we saw The Help on Saturday and loved it), and to theatre shows in New York and hiking.

9. How's life? Is it treating you well right now? It's okay. We are hoping to the gods that there will be no more rain for a long time and I am looking forward to the autumn and the leaves changing. I love autumn. Life has its ups and downs. I still am finding it very hard to adjust to being on permanent disability. Maybe someday it won't be so bad, but I miss working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

The Longairc-Green Family