Saturday Six - Episode #388

"We’ve been hearing a lot lately from nutrition experts about the importance of the rainbow when it comes to placing food on your plate. So this week, I thought I’d do a set of questions that focus on the colors of the foods we eat.

Remember that for some colors, like orange, there may be only one obvious food: the orange! But there are also carrots, orange bell peppers and even salmon, which can have an orange-pink color. So give it a thought before you answer!

I hope you enjoy, and thanks for playing!

Be sure to check back this week and click on the links of bloggers who play along in the comments below! It’s a great way to find blogs you may not have visited and keep the conversation going!

Here are this week’s “Saturday Six” questions. Either answer the questions in a comment here, or put the answers in an entry on your blog… But don’t forget to leave a link to your blog so that everyone else can visit! Permission is not granted to copy the questions to message boards for the purpose of having members answer and play along there. Enjoy!"

1. What is your favorite red-colored food? Strawberries. I suspect there is some art to making them that red... my grandparents grew strawberries that were red, but not like what you see in the store now. The other good red coloured food is tuna. Yum!
 
2. What is your favorite orange-colored food? Hmmm. I would say Mandarin oranges. I don't care much for oranges (the regular ones) but I really love Mandarin oranges.


3. What is your favorite yellow-colored food? Pineapple, lemons, YES!
 

4. What is your favorite green-colored food? Green food, that is a lot of food choices. Where orange was a limiting colour, green is very broad. I'll need to give that some thought. I think the best green foods are pistachios, pears and wasabi paste. I love wasabi; I enjoy spicy but flavourful food - not spicy just to blast one's tongue out, but spicy to add to a dish's flavour. I love Thai food for this reason.

5. What color is the salad dressing you most often use? Raspberry and walnut vinaigrette. It's very flavourful but sweeter than regular vinaigrette and isn't as strong so that one only tastes the dressing and not the salad.


6. What color do you tend to find least appealing on your plate? Well, interesting question. I don't care for washed-out colours, like oatmeal beige and grits, which are sort of dirty white. I think dishes can be delicious and still pop, or have that visual "wow factor". If you ever watch Hell's Kitchen, which is amusing but interesting, you can see just how lovely food can truly be presented - even "ugly" foods like meatloaf and mac and cheese.

I would say the uncooked oatmeal looks better than when it has been cooked. The colour is not exciting, but it is not unpleasant or boring like when it is served. I also don't care for mushy foods - cooked corn is disgusting to me.

"If you have a Reader’s Choice question you’d like to see asked (and answered), send me an email! I’d love to include it in a future edition of the Saturday Six."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

The Longairc-Green Family