Volcán Rincón de la Vieja in Costa Rica!


This is the greatest image I have ever seen of phraetic activity in a volcano. I have no idea how it got that rich blue colour. I've seen the typical grey lava, some black lava and the freaky white lava, but never this colour. I love it!

This is a gorgeous image.

The Volcano is the Volcán Rincón de la Vieja in Costa Rica, one that I am not very familiar with - the more commonly known Costa Rican volcano is Arenal, who blows its stack quite frequently. I've read about Vieja as I have all the volcanoes currently active there, but I had no idea it would produce such an interesting colour. I love it. It is really gorgeous!

I always wanted to go see a live working volcano, which I did in June 2009, when I went to Montana. The whole of Yellowstone National Park is inside a huge caldera and is still very volcanically and seismically active. Granted that most people may not realise that they are standing in such an enormous caldera or how active it really is, but I enjoyed every inch of it thoroughly. It was such an amazing trip - and I only saw the tiniest bit of it, really, as we did not have a place to spend the night and we had to drive back to Helena, Montana. So we spent most of the day there from 0800 to 2230 and then drove the four and a half hours back. Wow!

It was wow, however, a huge wow, and rather than quenching my thirst for seeing volcanoes, it has whetted my appetite that much more. Iceland, Hawaii, Costa Rica, Mexico, Argentina, Oregon and Washington states are just a few of the places I'd love to go.

In the meantime, I will look at images like this and dream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...