Saturday 9 - Mrs. Potter's Lullaby

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Mrs. Potter's Lullaby

1. Adam Duritz (writer and lead singer of Counting Crows) mentions previous girlfriends in songs. In Mrs. Potter's Lullaby he sings “There a little piece of Maria in every song I sing”. Is there a piece of an ex that will always be a part of you? Oh, look at this - I missed this question. How sad is that? OK, I would say that all people who have had an impact on my life - good, bad or indifferent - has left a little piece with me. That is a lot of people. Certainly I would say that my three ex-boyfriends did. What piece? Well, Joe left me with a love of Star Trek (that may not seem like much until you realise that I have most of the books written for Star Trek, have all the movies and still love the shows. That's a big piece. From Tom I have his love of music - I had it before but he was a drummer for a band and I loved spending time with them, so I have to say it honed it that much more. From Peter Feld I have a great sense of sarcasm and the ridiculous. He was always one to laugh at everything and I definitely live my life that way. And from my last manager, Kevin, the ability to listen to people and to be more fair in my dealings with them. He is NOT an ex-boyfriend at all, so no misinterpreting anything. He was just a very influential and positive person in my life and it is only fair to mention him.

2. Who was your very first significant friend? Wow, now there is a blast from the past. My very first best friend was Michelle Salinas. She was part Hispanic, although that part was her father, whom I never met. She was a wonderful friend and I remember her well. Her childhood was far less pleasant than mine - her mother was not the nicest woman, and her stepfather who could be abusive, also had all kinds of health problems as a result of diabetes. At some point her mother (or maybe her stepfather) made the decision to move them to one of the Amboys in middle New Jersey. I went to see her when we were teenagers - young teenagers - and she was having sex and trying drugs and that was the last I saw of her. We became two very, very different people and I really couldn't understand hers at all. I can't remember how old we were, but it was maybe 12 or 13 - I wasn't ready to think about those things much less do them. It was a good decision on my part.

3. What are four (4) things you hope to do this weekend? Well, I went into New York City yesterday (it is Sunday) and picked up art supplies there and some tea. McNulty's Fine Coffees & Rare Teas had to be visited, and I love that store. Today I will see Holly and pick up a book I need as well as go to the store. What an exciting life I lead, huh?

4. What do you consider to be the main purpose of your blog? I consider the main purpose of my blog a place to empty my head of the myriad thoughts I have. I find that at any given time, I am thinking about too many things and this is a way for me to empty out the extraneous thoughts to make space for... well... new extraneous thoughts. And more meaningful thoughts, but not as much. I do find that memes achieve the same thing, so lately there have been more memes than actual original posts. That does change from time to time, but I find both to be a benefit.

5. Tell us something that you've never before written about in your blog because it's too personal. Well, that's just it. If it is too personal I am not going to post it - on mine or any other blog. I generally do not post about my sex life - that is crossing a line for most readership, I think. I don't write about having a crush on someone I know personally as well, since most anyone would want a name and I can't do that to the person. I usually do find myself attracted to someone and more often than not a coworker - as the HR person, I cannot admit that or name the person - talk about AWKWARD... Most other topics are open season, however.

6. If you could choose your doctor, do you prefer someone of the same or opposite sex? As it happens, I have all male doctors including my OB/GYN and my dentist. I find that male doctors are more sensitive and careful with women. My OB/GYN is the best there is and I never feel uncomfortable with him. I asked him once how he looks at vaginas all day and then comes home to his wife and gets excited over hers and not want to just examine it. He did give me an honest answer to it, too. I really think he is top-notch in every way. And he always has a nurse in attendance for the comfort level (which I don't need) and the legality. (Sad statement, that, but true. I haven't asked if experience taught him to do that, or just reading about it from other doctors. I'll ask when I go for my annual pap exam.

7. If you could dream about anything tonight, what would the subject matter be? I have no idea. I dream about tons of stuff. I try to engage in cognitive dreaming (that is not the right word, but close enough) so that if I have a nightmare I can change it rather than living through it and then recalling it.

8. How do you react to practical jokes when they're played on you? I absolutely abhor practical jokes. There is nothing funny about cruelty to others. Certainly as a Human Resources employee I had an incredibly low opinion of it. I always hated April Fool's Day and still do to this day. I treat 1 April as just another day. Fortunately most people who know me know never to do that. And I would not be friends with a practical joker.

9. What's on your agenda after this weekend for the upcoming week? Nothing. I don't work anymore, I'm "retired" so I have little to do with far too much time. However, I may go leaf-peeping, since there are tons of leaves to look at. All of a sudden, the trees "popped" late last week, so I'd best go see them now before *poof*, they are just naked.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...