Friday 5 for October 7: Book 'em!

Hello, and welcome to this week’s Friday 5! Please copy these questions to your webspace. Answer the questions there; then leave a comment below so we’ll all know where to check out your responses. Please don’t forget to link us from your website!

I am a total bookworm, but I’ve mostly avoided indulging that passion of mine in this space. Today, however, I feel the need to be reminded of why I love books and reading, so please share your thoughts on books as you answer these questions.
  1. What book did you struggle to get through but is something you’re glad you’ve read? Hmmm. I don't usually struggle through books and really ever get to like them, but the book I am reading right now is in that category. It's called The Wounded Sky by Diane Duane, and it is a Star Trek book. But where I normally love her books, this one is confusing and convoluted and I am still trying to read it even though it has been two or three weeks now that I've been trying to finish it. It is well-written, just very confusing... so I like it, yes, but I am looking forward to plowing through the rest of it and moving on to something else.
  2. What’s a book whose popularity has baffled you? In some ways the Harry Potter series did. They were entertaining and yet such simple reads. That is unusual for me. I generally am so far above that reading level that I don't normally pay attention to those books. I have to admit, though, after they killed off Dumbledore, I really did lose all interest in the books. The movies never meant much to me anyway, so no loss there.
  3. If you could make everyone you know read one book, what would it be? Oh, yes. It would be Fairie Tale by Raymond E. Feist. It is an excellent, excellent book. It is a modern-day story but with an interesting element of the Irish mythology and folklore of the Daone Sidhe and the Daoine Maithe, described here in Wikipedia: Daoine maithe is Gaelic for "the good people", which is a popular term used to refer to the fairies in Irish folklore. They are generally human like though there are exceptions such as the Puca or Mermaid. The defining features of the Irish fairies are their supernatural abilities and their temperament. If treated with respect and kindness, Irish fairies can be quite benevolent; however, if they are mistreated they will react cruelly. It is an excellent book and will give people an insight to the Irish mythology of the fairy races. I think everyone should read this. I would also recommend my favourite book as mentioned in Question 5. That is not about fairies but about the prejudice and hatred that still existed in the South in 1910 after the Civil War. It is an intense and gripping book, and wonderful. It's sad, too, but in a cleansing way.
  4. What book have you liked less and less as time has gone by? I don't think there is any book I would say that about. I love all my books.
  5. What book have you loved more and more as time has gone by? The most favourite of them all, The Other Side of the Sun by Madeleine L'Engle. It is a wonderful, deep, emotional and beautiful book. I highly recommend it, although it is hard to find.
Thanks for playing, and have a literate weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interesting Aftermath a From Season Five of "MasterChef"

A.W.A.D. - 14-Letter Words, 14-Letter Definitions

An Interesting Wife Swap...